Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SrTrekker
Level 7

Streaming Services

I am looking to cut-the-cord.  I have 4 tv's.  I like the Roku product line.  However, my initial investigation surfaced YouTube as my preferred streaming provider, due to its breadth of channels, and significant DVR capability with "unlimited" recording hours and skip commercial feature.  Relative to viewing, I like the local networks and cable news shows.  With Roku & Youtube not playing nice in the sandbox, it appears that, even if you can get YouTube working over Roku, there may be some feature loss with the work-arounds. 

It appears my choice is to find another streaming service, or a different streaming player manufacturer.  Can any folks suggest a comparable streaming service meeting the requirements above?  TIA

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Streaming Services

As you might know, YouTube TV is still available within the main YouTube channel. I've never used YTTV, so I have no idea what functionality might have been lost between YT and YTTV apps.

As to other providers, Sling TV is one option. It has DVR functionality and many of the same channels that YTTV offers. Hulu also offers similar functionality. I believe there might be one or two others, but since I don't use them I'm not familiar with them. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos