Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tajson
Level 8

Spam Emails from Roku.com about the forum

Didn't CA pass laws to prohibit sending willy nilly emails to an email addy where the recipient did not opt in?

Also, Roku is in CA and you cannot force my email addy to be added in an online forum without my permission. (All 8 of my device accounts)

Edit: For clarification, they are all different email addresses but still active from the start of the first box.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Heyitsrick
Level 10

Re: Spam Emails from Roku.com about the forum

What, exactly, makes this notification email "SPAM"? Are they trying to sell you something, or are they advising about future forum access? If you read this email, you'll see that the action required is on your end, not theirs.  

If your Roku Forums account is not updated over the next couple of weeks, you will not be able to access any of your previous activity from the Roku Forums. When you try to post in the newly updated Roku Community, you will instead be asked to sign in using your Roku User Account. We will send out a reminder email prior to the deadline.

If the email address in use on your Roku Forums account already matches your Roku User Account email address, no action is required.

Now, if you don't want to "opt in" by making sure your forum email address matches your Roku User Account, you'll lose access to any of your previous activity on the forum.  But it's your choice. 
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

If you read it, it's about verifying your email is correct due to upcoming changes. Maybe this will allow better spam posting control than the current restrictions that I believe require admins to verify all new users...
More details here:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=153104
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
What, exactly, makes this notification email "SPAM"? [...] Now, if you don't want to "opt in" by making sure your forum email address matches your Roku User Account, you'll lose access to any of your previous activity on the forum.  But it's your choice. 

Because one of their emails was sent to an account that has not been active on this forum for a decade+. Also, if I can access this forum by using any of my Roku Device accounts after the "upgrade" then I never opted-in for those.

We will see how this comes into terms with the CCPA starting January 1st when my email address is considered private under the CCPA.

Edit: I forgot all about the GDPR since I am an EU citizen but in the USA and Roku has to honour GDPR or face the GDPR's fines worldwide.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"andyross" wrote:
If you read it, it's about verifying your email is correct due to upcoming changes.

No, it is about including all of the emails from the Roku Account database into a forum.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

"Tajson" wrote:
"Heyitsrick" wrote:
What, exactly, makes this notification email "SPAM"? [...] Now, if you don't want to "opt in" by making sure your forum email address matches your Roku User Account, you'll lose access to any of your previous activity on the forum.  But it's your choice. 

Because one of their emails was sent to an account that has not been active on this forum for a decade+ and if I can access this forum by using any of my Roku Device accounts after the "upgrade" then I never opted-in for those.

We will see how this comes into terms with the CCPA starting January 1st when my email address is considered private under the CCPA.

Since you're citing rules/regs regarding CCPA, perhaps you could provide chapter/verse (linkable) where it mentions opt-in on email addresses. 

Everything I've read about it suggests it gives consumers the power to opt-out of certain data collection, particularly as it applies to selling or disclosing such data to third parties, and/or your right to request what personal information the business has acquired about you . I'm not seeing anything in this forum change that suggests it will lead to selling your information (which they already have with your roku.com account) to third parties. 

Your argument about an email that went to an account (email account associated with a forum log in)  that hasn't been active seems immaterial. You created the account. In doing so, you explicitly agreed to their terms and conditions. Whether you use it or not is your choice, but you absolutely made the choice to create the account to begin with. 

Here's a typical CCPA FAQ that I've read:  CCPA FAQ
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
Your argument about an email that went to an account (email account associated with a forum log in)  that hasn't been active seems immaterial. You created the account. In doing so, you explicitly agreed to their terms and conditions. Whether you use it or not is your choice, but you absolutely made the choice to create the account to begin with. 

Here's a typical CCPA FAQ that I've read:  CCPA FAQ

I am talking about lumping all of my Roku Device email addresses into a forum.

home page of the website of the business, that will direct users to a web page enabling them, or someone they authorize, to opt out of the sale of the resident’s personal information (Cal. Civ. Code §1798.102).

[sup:1ttoyaya]Definition of personal data

CCPA defines personal information as information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, social security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.[/sup:1ttoyaya]
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
Your argument about an email that went to an account (email account associated with a forum log in)  that hasn't been active seems immaterial. You created the account. In doing so, you explicitly agreed to their terms and conditions.

T&Cs of a 12 year old account? I am not sure if they accounted for this level of privacy.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

"Tajson" wrote:

I am talking about lumping all of my Roku Device email addresses into a forum.

Wait...did you create separate forum logins with all of your Roku device email addresses?  
Seems to me you have this backwards. I don't read what they're doing as forcing people to join a forum. They're sending emails to people whose email addresses are in the forum database already telling them that they will need to match their current forum email address to their roku.com email address if they  want to have their previous forum postings integrated with their account as the new forum comes into being.  

In other words, I read it this way - this forum is going away. The new forum, in whatever format it takes, will be tied to your roku.com email address. If you choose to participate in the new forum, you'll be starting fresh there unless you match your current forum email address to (in your case) one of your roku.com email addresses. If you do that, your new forum user name will presumably be able to respond to or at least see archival posts/threads you've made in this forum. That's how I read this change. And it will be through single sign on (SSO). 

Tajson:  

“Right to Say No to Sale of Personal Information” link on the home page[/url:10gcye08] of the website of the business, that will direct users to a web page enabli...

The very passage you quote says "Right to Say No to Sale of Personal Information".  What sale?  Where are you harmed in any way here via that statute? 

It's only a guess, but it seems to me the real privacy concern some may have is not having anonymity in the forums any longer, as Roku, at least, will know who you are when you post because they require the credit card (at least when creating a roku.com account). The upshot of that will (hopefully) go far in ameliorating the spam that pervades this forum each day.  But I'm sure some will be dissuaded by the fact that roku will now know who's who. It's never been a problem for me, as my email address has always matched. But some people may be put off by that. 
0 Kudos