Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ace_3s3s3s
Channel Surfer

Slow to launch Peacock app

Hello all,

I recently bought and installed a 2nd Roku device. It works fine once streaming, but it takes 46 seconds to launch the Peacock app. I tried to remove and reinstall it, but there's no option to "remove app" as there is for most of the other apps.

I have an older Roku in another room which only takes about 3 seconds to launch Peacock. The ISP is fine and my network stats (Roku secret menu) shows sufficient bandwidth 25Mb/s, and again, when playing there are no glitches, so I know the bandwidth and connection are fine.

In earlier posts they suggest rebooting the device (did that), rebooting the TV (did that), and clearing cache using the secret menu (did that, too). So far, nothing has solved this mystery.

Any help will be appreciated. TIA

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Slow to launch Peacock app

@ace_3s3s3s

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that you may not see the remove channel option if you are subscribed to the channel through Roku Pay. In such cases, you would need to cancel your subscription, then you would be able to remove the channel, restart the Roku device, then add the channel back again. Once you've added the channel again, you will have the ability to re-subscribe to the channel.

In regards to your channel playback issue, what Roku model device are you seeing this loading issue occur? How is the device being powered? In addition, what OS is that Roku device currently running?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@ace_3s3s3s 

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

If there is no "Remove" option it means you used Roku Pay to subscribe to the app/service (not recommended) instead of directly to the service provider itself (recommended) - you'll need to cancel your Roku-based subscription before the "Remove" option becomes available, and then restart & reinstall (and re-subscribe, directly to the service is highly recommended).

No "secret screen" is necessary to test/check your internet download speed:  Settings/Network/Check connection  "internet download speed" = ?

Peacock usually takes around 3 seconds to display the logo splash screen and 8-10 seconds to load the main UI for navigation.

See if cancelling your subsciption, restarting the Roku, reinstalling the app loads the app normally.

0 Kudos
ace_3s3s3s
Channel Surfer

Thank you, will try it. Why is subscribing via Roku not recommended?

0 Kudos
ace_3s3s3s
Channel Surfer

Weird. I replied yesterday and it disappeared.

I went one step further and did a factory reset and re-did everything. Same problem

Model 3820X Streaming stick 4K

Software 11.0.0 Build 4193-CU

Signal strength Excellent

Internet download speed good, 50Mb/s

HTH

0 Kudos
ace_3s3s3s
Channel Surfer

Also, it appears this is a 2021 model (I purchased it August 2022). I need a third device, should I get another one of these or is there an updated version?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
ace_3s3s3s
Channel Surfer

Hello? Anybody out there???

0 Kudos
Jstadt
Channel Surfer

the Peacock app is slow to launch on any streaming device. The app was recently updated, Check to see if it current. 

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

Compared to other channels, Peacock has always been slow. Sometimes it's a miserable experience. Uninstalling/reinstalling it never did anything for me.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
Jstadt
Channel Surfer

That’s been my experience with the app half the time I just don’t use it and look else ware for shows.

0 Kudos