Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pr627
Level 7

Samsung and Roku Smart TVs Vulnerable to Hacking, Consumer Reports Finds

article of interest. hope its ok to post. if not please delete
https://www.consumerreports.org/televis ... rts-finds/
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Re: Samsung and Roku Smart TVs Vulnerable to Hacking, Consumer Reports Finds

Yet another reason why smart TVs are a very bad idea. And to add to that we have from that piece:

Smart TVs can identify every show you watch using a technology called automatic content recognition, or ACR, which we first reported on in 2015. That viewing information can be combined with other consumer information and used for targeted advertising, not only on your TV but also on mobile phones and computers. For instance, if you’re watching a particular sports event, you could see an online advertisement from a brand interested in reaching fans of that sport.

I find that more disturbing that the hacking itself.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

It's a vast exaggeration for them to claim this can be done over the Internet. Virtually everyone uses private IP space with a NAT gateway, which isn't going to let an external device get to your private network unless you specifically configure it. It acts like a firewall. And, for the few-and-far-between who do have networks with public IPs, they'll already have a firewall in place.

A lot of AVRs allow similar control.

Roku should, however, provide some minimal level of security. I've got a Sony DVD player and a Vizio TV, both of which allow network control. However, when first doing so you have to go through an initial pairing/registration process. The controlling device then needs to send a key with each request. It's sent in the open, so not high security, but does prevent random devices from sending commands.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
Yet another reason why smart TVs are a very bad idea. And to add to that we have from that piece:

Smart TVs can identify every show you watch using a technology called automatic content recognition, or ACR, which we first reported on in 2015. That viewing information can be combined with other consumer information and used for targeted advertising, not only on your TV but also on mobile phones and computers. For instance, if you’re watching a particular sports event, you could see an online advertisement from a brand interested in reaching fans of that sport.

Hope you don't use Google Mail, then. It's just an advertising tool. Nothing malicious. Actual people aren't looking at your viewing habits.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"jeffrok" wrote:
"Elijah_Baley" wrote:

Hope you don't use Google Mail, then. It's just an advertising tool. Nothing malicious. Actual people aren't looking at your viewing habits.

I do use Gmail but I do not view or access it through the internet (I use only POP access) and I see no increase in ads or junk mail received. However I am not worried about what is happening I am concerned about what could and I see no connection between Gmail and Smart TVs.

I use no service at all regularly that tracks my viewing but again that is not really a concern either. 

The concern is that Smart TVs are an additional and unneeded devices that make the possibilities of intrusive data gathering greater. I do not try to hide from Big Brother, as the measures needed for effective hiding are too extreme for me, but I do not want to make it easy for "Them" either. Everything that can be achieved by a "smart" TV can be achieved just as effectively and a little safer by devices attached to a regular TV.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

It's convenience vs security. You sacrifice one for the other. The only problem is people thinking they can have both.
And yes, I too realize that "hiding" is impossible, but I also try to make it as hard as possible for Joe Blow to find me. I also know a Chicken Little (and elephant repellent) scenario when I see one.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

This is quite possibly the biggest overblown article I've ever read.  If it weren't "Consumer Reports" it would have been shot down long ago.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 11

I gave up on Consumer Reports decades ago, as I found it lacking in perspective and judgement. Whenever they did a review of something I actually knew something about (mostly photography and audio electronics at the time) they would invariably place great emphasis on things I didn't think mattered all that much, and ignore things I thoght were important.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos