Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghosted
Level 7

Samsung TV Netflix 4K vs Roku Streaming Stick 4K

Why is the Roku Streaming Stick 4K quality noticeably worse than the Samsung Native App?  Is it just me or shouldn't these be comparable quality? The Stick doesn't seem to have that sharp quality.  Can anyone confirm this for me or help me out?  I have a Samsung UN40MU6290 TV.  Watching Planet Earth II someone please compare Season 1 Episode 5 between their 4K TV and their Roku and see if you notice like I do?  Also when I am watching Planet Earth II on the Roku Streaming + Stick on the top left it has all this White Text showing DL Speed . Time --:--:-- / --:--:-- Audio: ENglish [Original] / Stereo (Primary) TimedText: English Assistve.  How do I turn this off ? -.-
0 Kudos
5 Replies
T_J
Level 7

Re: Samsung TV Netflix 4K vs Roku Streaming Stick 4K

I have Netflix, (Sony TV-Premiere+ & Samsung TV-Roku 2).
My Premiere+ recently got the text you mentioned in upper left corner (while watching Netflix), the only way I could remove it was to remove Netflix app, restart Roku, install Netflix app, re-enter my email & Netflix password. Now Premiere+/Netflix is back to normal. Maybe once per year, I must occasionally hit the wrong button on GE universal remote for the text to show up.
The same text in the upper left corner can be removed (or shown) during playback with my Roku 2 (4210) with a button on my GE universal remote. The same button on the same GE remote that removes the text on the Roku 2 (during playback) does not remove the text on the Premiere+ (during playback). I have SD Netflix plan.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

If you hit the * button while in the browse screen (before you select a video), it will enable/disable the stats window during playback. You used to be able to toggle it during playback with the same button, but now you have to be outside playback to turn it on/off. 
I don't have 4K access to Netflix, but when I did I had no issues using my Roku 4 and Ultra compared to the native Samsung app. Of course, there have been updates to both the Samsung and Roku apps since then, so things might have changed. I know that 4K YouTube looks better on my Ultra than the TV app, and I don't believe the TV app supports HDR, which the Ultra does.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Mikenz
Level 7

our samsung 4k is connected to the roku prem+. i've compared video and found a difference like you. the roku and samsung both connected using cables not wifi. loaded netflix show 'carbon fiber' using the roku then switched input to use the samsung netflix app. scene to scene the difference in picture quality was obvious at our end. not that the roku doesn't show a good picture but it isn't as good as the samsung app? i have no idea if it has to do with hardware, software, both? but you aren't alone in seeing a samsung/roku difference. i thought it was just us until i saw your post. 
0 Kudos
ghosted
Level 7

Thanks for the tip on the Stats Window.  And thanks for confirming that its not just my Roku doing this.  Obviously this one thing with Netflix got me thinking, so I compared the Hulu App and also realized the Samsung Hulu quality is a lot more sharper than Roku, at first I thought it was just the 4K Video, but now I'm beginning to suspect almost everything is less superior than the native apps. Compared it with my Chromecast as well and noticed Direct TV Now was a lot better quality than Roku Direct TV Now.  What the hell is going on?  Will be comparing all video qualities on Same TVs for Chromecast , Native , and Roku.  
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Interested in finding out the results.

A long time ago I had also noticed better PQ on my family's LG TV webOS native YouTube app, vs YouTube on an older Roku Ultra hooked up to the TV. Of course back then I was also wrestling with some Ultra Wi-Fi and bitrate issues...

Oh, did you guys already play around with the TV's image quality settings for the Roku HDMI input?
0 Kudos