Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gbzrope
Level 7

Running Rocku Streambar with 12v feed from batteries

I am running a Streambar connected to a Solar TV on our boat using a 12v DC supply from our domestic batteries.  Internet is via a 4g MiFI unit.

2 problems, 

Netflix locks up/freezes after an hour or so. I have to pull the power cord and restart it.

Sometimes when I select Netflix and my profile I get a loud BZZZT and it freezes again.

2nd issue is with Amazon Prime.  It just says my internet connection is not working - although other channels are working fine.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Running Rocku Streambar with 12v feed from batteries

Well, yours is an interesting use case. Hard to determine from your information, but my guess is the power supply to the Roku isn't either clean enough (some sort of transient spikes perhaps) or the voltage isn't consistent enough to satisfy the electronics. Perhaps some other device on your DC bus is generating noise on the line. Again, troubleshooting an issue like this without being able to be hands on is difficult at best. Perhaps if you could isolate the Roku onto a single power source that doesn't have anything else running on it, you might be able to pinpoint where the trouble might be.

If you test your Roku somewhere you can connect it to steady AC power, does it exhibit any of these issues? My guess is they're all power related, so all I can do is suggest some possible tests to try.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

What all is connected to the same battery?  What is the max amp draw for each of those?

See if you can find a 12v DC stabilizer/regular that support at least 5 amps and dedicate it to just the streambar.

0 Kudos
gbzrope
Level 7

It is connected using a stabilised 12V PSU that used to power a 12V TV (new TV is internal LiFePo batteries.  The supply is our boat domestic circuit from 3 x 110Ah batteries.

0 Kudos
gbzrope
Level 7

Supply is from our bat domestic supply - 3 x 110Ah batteries.  The connection is via a stabilised supply that used to power our 12V TV.  The voltage slowly drops over the evening, but never below 12.2V  under load.

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

@gbzrope wrote:

Supply is from our bat domestic supply - 3 x 110Ah batteries.  The connection is via a stabilised supply that used to power our 12V TV.  The voltage slowly drops over the evening, but never below 12.2V  under load.

For measuring the impact under load, you want to be looking at the amps, not the volts.

If you watch the voltage on an oscilloscope, does it remain at a solid constant 12.2V line without any jitter?

You want to make sure of three things:

(1) Make sure all of the devices connected to the circuit still leave the Roku with being able to pull 5 amps whenever it needs to

(2) Make sure the Roku is isolated from any power noise (putting it behind it's own power regulator could help with this)

(3) Make sure radio frequency (RF) noise from something else on the boat is not causing the buzzing

Best way to track down RF noise issues would be to turn off as much as you can on the boat until the buzzing goes away.  Then turn things back on one at a time until it comes back.

0 Kudos
gbzrope
Level 7

The buzz is just once then the thing is frozen.  Pulling the power lead and reinserting it to restart and it then works.  

When we have it on the only other things powered are LED lights and the TV (under it's own internal battery.)  We have a battery monitor which shows amps draw - but that is at the other end of the boat, so tonight I will check it if it happens again.

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

You may also want to try installing the Roku app on a smart phone and enable Private LIstening.

If you can recreate the problem of the freezing while private listening is going then that would indicate there is something more going on than just the amp pull of the speakers causing it to freeze.

However, if private listening work fine, then it might be worth looking further into if your power configuration is providing the amps the streambar expects for being able to run the speakers.

0 Kudos