Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fabric_Hound
Level 8

Roku will not recognise home wifi network

I've just purchased a new Premiere 3920 and it refuses to recognise the home wifi network. On setup it shows all my neighbours routers, my wifi extender in the garden shed some 30 metres away and even the home security camera hub. All my other devices are working okay with a strong wifi signal and before you ask the router is only 3 metres away from the Roku unit and I've already switched the dual band router to 2.4 only and turned off the firewall and set the SSID to broadcast and reset both the router and Roku several times. I've even tried using the Guest Wifi channel and inputting the router credentials as a private network but all attempts have failed !  I can't even access the settings menu on the remote but this could be because I haven't managed to complete the set up yet ?

As a new user I'm totally exasperated as there's no chat line or phone numbers to call for technical assistance, can anyone in the community help on this one before I return the unit for a refund ?

Thanks.

6 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku will not recognise home wifi network

So, you're stuck in the setup sequence but can't connect to the network, right? What has worked for many people is using a phone hotspot to connect the Roku to the Internet, complete the setup, and then the Roku will connect to the home network once it's all done. I know, that doesn't make any sense at all. But it's worked for a great many users that have encountered the same issue. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Fabric_Hound
Level 8

Hi there, I've had some success connecting and setting up using the mobile hotspot connection but the home wifi network is still not available on the Roku settings/network/setup connection menu. It just shows all the neighbourhood routers as it was doing before.... any other ideas ?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 9

Under your settings for the 2.4gz maybe just some simple troubleshooting/double-checking tips. 

{after any changes, reboot your router even if not prompted}

1. Give your 2.4gz seperate SSID name than your 5gz network name. (Even with 5gz disabled and 2.4gz enabled, there are other settings within routers that sometimes "band steer" and cause conflicts.  Helps to have true seperate network ids when troubleshooting a dual band network.

2. Disable password security (just for troubleshooting)

3. Make sure 2.4gz is set to b/g/n Mixed. (sometimes selecting N ONLY helps, but this may affect your other connected wifi devices on network).

4. Set your 2.4gz to channel 1, 6, or 11 (these are non-overlapping channels) instead of AUTO if Auto is enabled.  For troubleshooting 6 is preferred.  [The router, if set to AUTO, may be selecting a channel with too much traffic and interference.  A simple wifi app analyzer will tell you best channel to use.  It could be ch2, it could be ch9.  Roku will work on any channel.  But for testing, set to 6 preferably] 

5. You can leave channel width to AUTO if so enabled.

If you do all these changes, just take note of what your original router setting were (so you can see where conflicts occurred .  What particular issue was causing problem.)

6. REBOOT ROUTER. (here I would test that I could connect to router with a known working wifi device like a laptop.  I would leave all other devices unconnected to network like security cams etc to eliminate possibility of interference during the Roku Setup.

7. Unplug Roku Premiere and then plug Roku back in to wall and let it attempt to setup again.

****When rebooting either the Router or Roku, just do one at a time and let it fully reboot.  They have to see each other with those radio signals (b/g/n).  Don't simulatanously reboot everything at once.

See if that helps and report back.

Otherwise........

When you were able to connect via hotspot, and you were able to get to the Roku Network Menu, did you scroll down and select SCAN AGAIN TO SEE ALL NETWORKS or try to CONNECT to the PRIVATE NETWORK you had attempted to setup? 

If you can connect via hotspot, then do the ROKU software update before changing router settings.

SETTINGS.....SYSTEM....SYSTEM UPDATE....CHECK NOW (should be 9.4 build 4200)

Then Restart the Premiere and see if it can see your home network.

See if any of the above helps you.

0 Kudos
Fabric_Hound
Level 8

Hi There,  Thanks for your guidance and suggestions on this but after several more attempts to overcome this issue I've finally thrown in the towel and installed another router. I'm overjoyed to report that at the first attempt it fired up perfectly and all is now working as it should. I don't like to admit defeat against these electronic adversaries but life is too short to get bent out of shape battling with something that just defies any logic !  No one will ever know why that dumb router just refused to do it's job properly and in a few days time no one will ever care !

AvsGunnar
Level 9

Absolutely the right attitude.  Good to hear its working!

0 Kudos
flukeno
Level 7

Roku issues like not connecting to wireless network are not new. If you know the basics and how it works, you can easily fix the issues without any frustrations. The best fix method will be to restart your router first. Then do a factory reset of your device and you will definitely fix the issue.

0 Kudos