Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ozzette
Level 8

Re: Roku replacement device? Suggestions?

Jump to solution

Old enough, huh?  I am 61 years old in January and  have a degree in comp sci, summa **bleep** laude. You have Youtube only because you downloaded it previously.  You can no longer download it from the Roku Channel Store.  I have referred dozens of people to the Roku box over the years.  I too, have been with Roku since January of 2010, in case you can't seem to do the math.  I you want to quibble over 5 weeks or so, you may do so, but I don't care to hear it.  I do buy my channels from the computer, so I too can play them on other devices.  Why sell the inferior devices that you claim don't work if not just to make money?  I'm old enough and definitely intelligent enough to form my own opinions and I am done.  And I will never refer anyone to this cash con again. And Dukes,  I don't need any more commercials.  If you 2 are not employees of Roku, why have you continued to boost this product for so many years in this very thread.  I know it cannot be for your health.  Free devices?  I am positive you are receiving perks, if not cash for continually speaking so condescendingly to people, for years, that have a negative response.  I guess your opinions are the only ones that matter, because you both seem convinced of that.  Now, I will not return to this forum, so you can jabber away all you want about my opinion.  I am no longer interested in this product and have no reason to return to your forums.  The only reason I ended up in the forums at all was to try to troubleshoot my AMC+ problems.  It's in your court now, and I am sure you will continue to argue with me, etc.  I don't need the drama for posting my own opinion.

PS: If you are not receiving perks of any kind, then you are trolls.  The only reason you are here is to argue with people.  That is the definition of an internet troll.

 

0 Kudos
ozzette
Level 8

Re: Disappointments With Roku

Jump to solution

Being a snarky troll.  That's what you are doing! Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku replacement device? Suggestions?

Jump to solution

@ozzette you're the one trolling. YouTube is still available in the Roku channel store. It has NOT been dropped from Roku devices. YouTube TV (a completely different channel) has been removed, but Google added access to YTTV from within the YouTube channel. Google might end up removing YouTube as well, but that hasn't happened yet. And Google has promised to continue to support users that have the channel currently installed, as they are doing with YouTube TV.

I have almost 7 years on you, but I don't have your degree(s). But I was an IT manager in my spare time for a medical group with multiple office locations, so I do have a handle on LAN/WAN/VPN functionality.

And if you've read this thread you'd have seen that I have suggested alternate streaming devices to many people, if something suits their use case better than a Roku. But for general Internet streaming, it's tough to beat a Roku. Channel availability, cost, easy to use interface, and other items make it a great choice. But for someone streaming from a home server, there are better options. But those options will cost more and are more difficult to configure. 

People like @DBDukes and myself are not Roku employees. But the company has recognized the support and accuracy of the information we provide and granted us the label we have. That's not to say that we can't be wrong at times, as we're all human. But we attempt to be honest with users and give support to the best of our abilities. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku replacement device? Suggestions?

Jump to solution

@ozzette wrote:

Old enough, huh?  I am 61 years old in January ...


I was 61 once. I outgrew it.


@ozzette wrote:

... I am positive you are receiving perks, if not cash for continually speaking so condescendingly to people, for years, that have a negative response. ...


Nope. I've never received anything from Roku. Everything from Roku that I have, I paid for.


@ozzette wrote:

... You have Youtube only because you downloaded it previously. ...


It's in the Channel Store. Check again.

Found in Channel Store just now.Found in Channel Store just now.


@ozzette wrote:

...

PS: If you are not receiving perks of any kind, then you are trolls.  The only reason you are here is to argue with people.  That is the definition of an internet troll.


Nope, not looking to argue. I generally talk to grown folks blunt and straight to the point. I'm telling you to think about what you're doing.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Strega
Level 16

Re: Roku replacement device? Suggestions?

Jump to solution

I believe the first time I read the "If you don't agree with me then you must be an employee!" argument on the internet was in 1982.  (Still called arpanet back then.)  I haven't found it compelling yet. 

Anyway, if you look up Roku on amazon, you'll see that they collectively have over 100K reviews with an average score of 4.7 stars – so apparently, they work OK for a lot of people.  (And before you go there – Roku has way less than 100K employees! Smiley Happy)

purplescreen
Level 7

Re: Roku replacement device? Suggestions?

Jump to solution

Good luck. I tried buying a replacement 3x's, gets to paypal I hit pay, and nothing happens. Apparently they don't really accept paypal. Customer service can't answer my questions in online chat. Toll free number isn't toll free, 816 is area code for Kansas City. Now I have to worry if they just stole my paypal info, and this is a scam site. Jeez Louise, get your poop together people. Guess I'll be going back to ebay to purchase my replacements. This sites a joke.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku replacement device? Suggestions?

Jump to solution

@purplescreen Roku has never claimed to have a toll free phone number. If you're on a site that claims one, it's a scam site.

I've never purchased anything directly from Roku, so I have no experience using their site for that purpose. If they have a support phone number for sales, it's certainly possible it goes somewhere other than Roku HQ in San Jose CA, as many companies contract stuff like retail sales out. I've also never used PayPal for any online payment, but I would expect you can look at your account for any suspicious activity and contest any such charge, same as when using a credit card.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
HybridFreak
Level 8

Re: Disappointments With Roku

Jump to solution

Definitely completely done with Roku now. Power supply just died in my TV that's less than 2 years old. Just one f'ing thing after another. Wishing nothing but the worst for Roku as a company. 🖕

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Disappointments With Roku

Jump to solution

@HybridFreak wrote:

Definitely completely done with Roku now. Power supply just died in my TV that's less than 2 years old. 


You can't blame Roku for that. They don't build the TVs, only license the operating system to the TV manufacturer. They have no control over the hardware used in a TV.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
MilesT
Level 13

Re: Disappointments With Roku

Jump to solution

Rolling back to the top of the thread for a 2022 view...

At number 2 in @DBDukes list, I would say Ultra, Streambar, Streambar pro as equivalent premium Roku devices.

From what I read elsewhere, in a UK version of the list I would put Sky Glass TV and Talktalk (Netgem) boxes as alternative devices to "avoid", at least until they can make them reliable. Older BT "Youview" boxes (no longer available new) somewhere in the middle, SkyQ towards the top.

UK apps that have been withdrawn from older devices (generally, not just Roku) and can be a bit "greedy" on Roku is BBCiplayer/BBCsounds; BBCiplayer is pretty fundamental to a UK streaming experience unless you are avoiding paying the annual TVlicense (no licence, no iPlayer).

On older devices getting iplayer to work may require deleting lots of apps from the account, then factory reset (cleans everything out) and relink to account (which will install iPlayer by default, but not BBCsounds), then forced updates on the device until it won't update anymore, then gradually adding apps back one by one, testing iPlayer (and maybe BBCsounds, if that is important to you) every time.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos