Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimmyGee
Level 9

Re: Roku replacement device? Suggestions?

Jump to solution

My older Roku devices showed their age as well.  They were early versions.  Here is what happened to me.

My first Roku was an Express purchased so that I could take down my satellite dish and watch DirecTV Now, and it worked well.  The problem was that despite constant promises DirecTV never added my local channels.  After about a year I switched to YouTube TV.  I experienced some stuttering and nothing I did seemed to help.  I bought another Roku Express and the problem was gone.  

I know many people that have similar stories about all the brands, Amazon, Google, and Roku.  The software evolved faster than the hardware.  We have seen that happen in PCs, tablets and phones; it happens less in all devices now than it did then.  I don’t hold what happened when the market was evolving against any one brand.  That was then and this is now.

How old were your Fire devices and how long ago did you buy them?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@esjfc wrote:

Any suggestions from folks who have moved on from Roku?  Hulu and HBOMax simply don't work on my Roku devices, and I've done enough deleting and reinstalling to last a lifetime.  Some say it's Roku's fault, others say the app developers are to blame.  I don't really care, bottom line is that Roku devices don't work.  Any recommendations for a device that works?  Some around here seem to like Apple TV.  I'm not picky, I just need something that works.

As far as other external streaming platforms go:

If you want Hulu 4K/5.1 and HBO Max 4K/DV/HDR/Atmos/5.1, then your choices (other than a Roku 4K/HDR model) are a 4K FireTV (FS4K) or an ATV4K.

TS4K/GCCWGTV/Shield/ONN4K dont have Hulu in 4K/5.1 (Shield has 5.1).

If you dont care about Hulu 4K/5.1 anything will do.

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
atc98092

Jump to solution

If you have any interest at all in streaming local content (meaning ripped DVDs and Blu Rays), nothing can touch a Shield. It's virtually the only streaming player that will play anything without transcoding, plays all captions, and will bitstream any audio codec to a supporting AVR. This becomes important for the lossless codecs such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. I'm aware of no other player that will do so, at least for under $3-400. Also, the Shield has a Gigabit Ethernet connection, so UHD rips will play without buffering.

I've been hoping that Roku would build a flagship player that supports all of these items, but so far nothing. The Roku user interface is so easy to use, I really prefer it as a general streamer. But for local media they still haven't covered all the bases. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
esjfc
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks again.  That's interesting and explains a lot.  Do you know if all the device makers permit app developers to self-verify?  Elsewhere on this forum contributors have noted that Apple exerts more control over the apps for its devices.  I've download dozens of apps to my iPhones over the years and every one of them worked.  Can I make the same assumption about Apple TV?  Does Apple police apps more diligently?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Jump to solution

@esjfc wrote:

Thanks again.  That's interesting and explains a lot.  Do you know if all the device makers permit app developers to self-verify?  Elsewhere on this forum contributors have noted that Apple exerts more control over the apps for its devices.  I've download dozens of apps to my iPhones over the years and every one of them worked.  Can I make the same assumption about Apple TV?  Does Apple police apps more diligently?

They do in fact.

However, there are different requirements/degrees of certification for publishing on different platforms' app stores, and they all have some.

You should be aware there are app functionality limitations on the ATV4K devices, especially when it comes to 4K/HDR (e.g YT/YTTV dont have HDR on ATV4Kv1 and FS/FN dont have HDR).  ATV4K devices also transcode all audio output (they dont support passthrough audio).

Implement a multiplatform streaming strategy, and use the device that has the best/most functional/preferred UI for a given app (you'll need to keep track of the apps' functionality on different platforms).

Remember, there is no perfect device ("One Streamer To Rule Them All!" doesnt exist) so be prepared to use different devices depending on the desired functionality/quality.

StreamerUser

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JimmyGee
Level 9

Jump to solution

Apple is very diligent when it comes to applications on their devices. 

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

My approach to Roku replacement is slightly different that most.  I keep mine.  I bought only the best models (Ultra & Streaming Stick Plus) and avoid the cheaper ones.  Plus I allow or permit the idea of "cheap imported junk" as to estimate how long these devices will last.  Also do keep in mind that even they last longer than 4-5 years or so they will be obsolete.  

On my own system, Google Chromecast is plugged into a HMDI port as well.  If one OS is temporary down, I simply switch over to the other one.  Or when Peacock was not offered on Roku, I switched over to the Chromecast.

The best of both worlds.