Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tajson
Level 8

Re: Roku is no longer a neutral platform after today’s Roku OS 9.1 update

"atc98092" wrote:
While most streaming boxes don't have dedicated buttons, there are many, many smart TVs and Blu Ray players that have at least a Netflix button. The Vizio remote next to me (for a TV that I only use as a computer monitor) has Netflix, Amazon, and iHeart Radio dedicated buttons. They can't be reprogrammed either. 

So Roku is not a neutral platform, correct?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Of all the major players, Roku is the most neutral of them all.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 9

These companies like Roku will never stop trying to fix what isn't broken. The home screen is perfectly fine now, if they alter it to focus on The Roku Channel which I don't use and couldn't care less about it will be a big push to make me not buy another Roku device in the future.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"Emissary35" wrote:
These companies like Roku will never stop trying to fix what isn't broken. The home screen is perfectly fine now, if they alter it to focus on The Roku Channel which I don't use and couldn't care less about it will be a big push to make me not buy another Roku device in the future.

People said that several years ago before the current home screen was created.. if you have never experienced the original home screen, I can assure you, the current home screen is TONS better than the original one. Instead of being so sure you wouldn't like the new home screen, try it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

"jeffrok" wrote:
"Emissary35" wrote:

People said that several years ago before the current home screen was created.. if you have never experienced the original home screen, I can assure you, the current home screen is TONS better than the original one. Instead of being so sure you wouldn't like the new home screen, try it.

I still remember that original home screen, white with all the channels in one horizontal row.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

Wait. What? Roku is promoting the Roku Channel? This is unprecedented!

What's next? Amazon Fire devices emphasizing Amazon Prime Video content? Apple TV promoting iTunes content? Chomecast promoting Google Play content? 

I am shocked. And stunned.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"jeffrok" wrote:

Well said.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
jsmiddleton4
Level 7

King of the streamers?  What illegal substances do you abuse?

My Apple TV has never tried to sell me anything by pushing ads.  Not sure how you define "neutral" but its laughable to say the ROKU is the "most".  

I don't expect these things to be neutral.  That's not how the market works.  The ROKU's are not neutral.  But they have NOT been neutral.  The article is flawed because it acts like it not being neutral is some how new.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"jeffrok" wrote:

Of all the major players, Roku generates the most revenue from prioritize other channels.

Lets just agree on Roku was never truly neutral (or most like you said) because none of us can prove this without disclosing something we should not.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"jsmiddleton4" wrote:

My Apple TV has never tried to sell me anything by pushing ads.  

You think the movies and TV shows that show up when you move to those respective buttons on the AppleTV menu are there randomly? Or the highlighted apps in the app store? Apple shows you ads, you just don't realize it. 
0 Kudos