Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Roku is developing a new voice assistant and will license its OS to smart speaker makers

Streaming media company Roku is expanding its licensing program to include makers of soundbars and smart speakers, and also plans to launch a new “Roku Entertainment Assistant,” as part of a growing effort to take over the entertainment experience in people’s living rooms.

Roku is developing a new voice assistant and will license its OS to smart speaker makers
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
makaiguy
Level 11

Re: Roku is developing a new voice assistant and will license its OS to smart speaker makers

This could explain why their attention appears to be diverted from solving problems with current releases.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 9

Re: Roku is developing a new voice assistant and will license its OS to smart speaker makers

It does feel like Roku is being stretched thin trying to play catch up to Amazon, Google, and Apple in the voice category.

It feels like every firmware release is sloppier and buggier than the last.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Yeah, the market is saturated.

They should be teaming with Amazon (since Amazon sells so many of Roku's products) to incorporate Alexa into their products.. Roku should stick to video- Amazon, Google, Samsung and Apple all have established voice assistants.. adding yet another one is an almost guaranteed failure.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"jeffrok" wrote:
Yeah, the market is saturated.

They should be teaming with Amazon (since Amazon sells so many of Roku's products) to incorporate Alexa into their products.. Roku should stick to video- Amazon, Google, Samsung and Apple all have established voice assistants.. adding yet another one is an almost guaranteed failure.

This is what I'd like to see, too. We don't need another voice assistant, I want Roku to be platform agnostic and have skills on Alexa, Google Home, and anyone else who will allow it. I'm sure there's a lot behind the scenes we don't know about, but I'm certainly not buying another speaker with an assistant when I've already got Alexa up and running. 
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

Ugh. Roku should link in with the other voice assistants. 

I just wanna use my Google Home with Roku. Smiley Tongue Sure Alexa users want the same....

Any real Cortana or Siri Home device users yet?

All I can say is whatever. I don't need some annoying A.I. to suggest to me what to watch and such. Or do I? LOL! Smiley Wink

Plus I have a Home device or no mic on my Roku Remote. I tried the Roku apps mic and was like meh. No thanks. Usually auto suggest works well enough when typing.

I don't see a point for Roku Assistant but hey we'll see. There Roku TVs been doing well enough. 
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 9

Yup, seems dumb. Enough voice assistants, just support all the ones you can and call it a day. Enough all room audio solutions as well.
0 Kudos
tommyr
Level 7

PLEASE make it so we can disable it if we want to.  
Roku XD and 2017 Roku stick +
Cord cutter since 12/15/2017!
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"tommyr" wrote:
PLEASE make it so we can disable it if we want to.  

Of course.. you'll probably have to also hit the voice search button to make it work with existing Rokus, too.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos