Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonduke
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra: Match video format and dynamic range of content?

Is there any way for the Ultra to dynamically match the native quality of whatever I’m watching? For example, within Disney+, the Ultra would detect if something is standard HD, 4K, or DolbyVision and adjust output accordingly? Or does the system upscale everything to 4K DolbyVision 60 fps if that’s what my TV can handle? Other streaming devices are able to detect video format, frame rate, and dynamic range, but I wasn’t sure if that’s possible with any Roku devices.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuIrene-S
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra: Match video format and dynamic range of content?

Hi @jasonduke

Thanks for the question.

What kind of TV are you using? Have you tried to use a different TV and see if the issue still persists?

Television manufacturers offer a variety of displays with different resolutions and frame rates. For more information, visit our Support page here: How to change the display type on your Roku® streaming player

All the best,
Irene

0 Kudos
swundler

Re: Roku Ultra: Match video format and dynamic range of content?

He's asking if the Roku can play video s at their native resolution. For example, Disney+ has videos at 4K, 1080p, and possibly other resolutions. Frame rate as well can vary. 

We pay thousands of dollars for TVs with expensive upscaling that takes advantage of the display technology to get the best possible picture, yet the $29 Roku does that job instead. That doesn't make sense. Figure out a way to stream the movie at the native resolution instead of the highest resolution of the TV. 

0 Kudos