Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
split
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra 2022 - What a dissapointment

I have a 82" Samsung with its own built in smart device/streamer.  I almost exclusively watch youtube and this TV did not support 1.5x, 1.75x & 2.0x play.  So I got the Roku Ultra 4802 to solve this.   Yes, it plays 1.5x and 2.0x, but has big issues:

1.  The color is wrong.  I have tried all "display settings" and "advance display settings", the color is off.  Within Youtube, when you click the option button, there are no display settings.

2.  The sound is not right.  It seems like the sound is constantly shifting from left to right and back.  Sometimes its sound like the voice is getting closer to the mic and then farther way, then close again.

3.  The top, bottom, left and right of the screen is cut off.  not by much, but noticeable.  No adjustment found.

4.  The remote is **bleep** infrared rather than RF like the Samsung.

5.  Within the Youtube App, there is no voice search.  No ability to mark a video so that like videos willnot be recommended.

The more I used it last night, the more I was disappointed and went back to the built in Samsung.

Has Roku F'ed up the 4802, or is this common with all Roku

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra 2022 - What a dissapointment

Everything you describe doesn't sound accurate for a Roku. I use YouTube all the time with a 4800, and have no issues with color or audio. My Roku is connected directly to a Yamaha AVR, which then feeds the TV. 

Roku players have no screen adjustments for size. That's all done at the TV. Sounds like yours isn't set correctly for the input you're using.

The remote it not IR. It uses WiFi Direct, which is RF.

Functionality within the YouTube channel is controlled by Google, not Roku. If there's no voice search, that's because of Google.

Note that my comments about the 4802 are based on my 4800 and other Roku players I've used over the years. If they changed the 4802 in any way, I can't find anything about that shows there's any significant difference from my 4800.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
split
Channel Surfer

I find I have to point the remote at the Ultra in order for it to work.  It has a infrared port on the front of the Ultra.  Infrared can't pass through certain plastics and glass, so the plastic port uses a infrared compatible plastic.   It will bounce off the walls too, but if shrouded with a blanket, the remote is useless.  Whereas my Samsung RF remote always works, even in the next room

The first 82" is a 2017.  I tried the Ultra on a 2nd, 2019, higher end 82" Samsung, and the audio and video issues seem to be resolved.   However, displaying a 4K test pattern, was slightly more detailed on the internal Samsung versus the Roku.

I understand that Youtube controls which features they allow on a given platform.  I guess my hope was that Youtube would provide all the features given its the flag ship performer @ Roku.   I did find that even though there is no Mic icon on the Youtube search page, pressing the mic button on the remote seemed to still work.   I tried this last night and it seemed like it did not work, but today it is working.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@split, the remote is dual IR and Wi-Fi direct.  IR is only for TV control, but it will fallback to IR if it's not paired to your Ultra.  Does voice search work otherwise (outside of the Youtube channel)? 

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos