Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jbips
Level 7

Roku Premiere "insufficient power"

Hi All

I have tried posting this in Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power but have had no luck in getting a response

So hoping this has better luck  Smiley Happy 

My Roku Premier  all of a sudden states "insufficient power"  I have tried to look and the only advice I can find says to plug it directly into the mains , the premier already does this ?  and change the lead which i have done.

I have tried using the power lead from an additional unit and still get the same issue I have tried changing the HDMI lead and the HDMI slot it is plugged into I have also tried it on a separate TV  ? 

STILL "insufficient power" ??

can someone please advise of any other course of action that i can try to see if i can get this working again  Smiley Sad 

cheers all 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere "insufficient power"

Have you tried plugging the premier into a wall outlet? It should of have come with an adapter that has a USB on one end that plugs into the wall outlet.  Most of the older tvs cannot power the streaming boxes through their USB ports, hence the insufficient power box pops up.  The USB ports can handle the streaming sticks but usually not the boxes.

Additionally, if you lose power at the wall outlet or it becomes unplugged for whatever reason, this same warning box will pop up.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insigna RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
Jbips
Level 7

Hi AvsGunnar 

Thank you for your reply , Yes  it is already plugged straight into the outlet with the lead supplied and connected to the TV via HDMI lead . I have also tried  it with a power lead from another Roku premiere but still the same outcome i have tried it on another TV and still the same the other divce is working find on all TV's its just this one that's all of a sudden come up with this error . 

Kind regards 

Jb

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

I see you swapped leads from your other unit.  As with any electrical device, need to isolate the problem.

Is it the device (software/hardware)?

Is it the power lead cable?

Is it the power adaptor?

We can rule out the wall outlet (it is almost never the wall outlet).  

Did you take the entire working power lead cable and power adapter from working unit and plug it into non-working unit?  I would lean towards a bad power adapter before the actual power lead cable.

If you can rule out a bad "power supply" issue, then issue is in device itself. 

If it is narrowed down to device, you can do a factory reset on the Premiere by sticking a paperclip in the small hole located near the power lead while plugged in and hold appox 15 secs. (This returns to out of box condition). Everything needs to be set up again.

If begins to work, then do a manual software update through settings.

Some have used higher power rated adapters to solve the issue temporarily, but if you have to do that then signals there is an internal prob and means unit is on its way out.

See if any of the above helps and post your results.  

0 Kudos
Jbips
Level 7

Hi AvsGunnar 

Thanks again for the advice .

The alternative box works and the lead from the faulty one works on the alternative box ok , I have tried the hard reset and still the problem still persists , at this stage I can only put it down to the box itself . 

I think i am going to have to accept defeat and just accept that the unit itself is the  issue and look at  replacing it which is disappointing .

thank you again though for your advice .

Kind regards 

JB 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Agreed. Unfortunately, there really is only so much troubleshooting you can do on these devices and everything you did points to device. 

Take care.

0 Kudos