Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boogernose
Level 9

Re: Remoku issue

@fluke 

Well I didnt realize it was open source. I dont use Remoku - actually never heard of it

before this string. I'm not going to delve into it but I do think its buyer beware.

**bleep** a new remote is what 10 bucks so I really dont get it.and there are phone apps.

0 Kudos
chuckr
Level 8

Screenshot_20191030-161105_RoByte.jpgReMoku phone appScreenshot_20191030-161113_RoByte.jpgReMoku phone app keyboard

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 9

I'm not sure which app your running.

But youve got an Android why not just use the official Roku app?

I'm sure its well maintained and seems to work well.

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

Those are not screen shots of Remoku by A. Cassidy Napoli.  Remoku is not an Android native app but rather works as a browser script by visiting remoku.tv or by installing as a browser extension for Chrome or Firefox.

Instead, those are screen shots of RoByte by TinyByte Apps.  The keyboard support in that app requires a $0.99 in-app purchase as it is considered by the developer to be a pro feature.  If you already purchased the feature, I recommend contacting the developer for support.  Their email address is listed in the Google Play app store as tinybyteapps at gmail.com.

I would have to agree with boogernose that you should consider starting with the official android Roku app by Roku Inc. themselves as can be found here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roku.remote

The official app has some functionality that no other third party app can provide such as private listening.  It is also completely free with no in-app purchases to unlock features.

If you really need an alternative to the official Roku android app, I would recommend RoMote by William Seemann which is available from both the Google Play Store and F-Droid app platform.  There is no in-store purchases required and no in-app advertising.  I would provide a link to it but the community moderators have taken on a militant stance on enforcing an extremely broad definition of "advertising."  If you really need an alternative to the official app but can't find RoMote based on the information I provided, let me know via the Roku Community Private Messages.

chuckr
Level 8

Thanks, Fluke.

I did fix the issue by discovering that somehow the IP address it was trying to connect to had changed somehow, and I corrected it.  It works fine now.  You are correct, the app icon is labeled RoByte, but I got it by following the ReMoku app download site somehow.  And I did pay $.99 for the keyboard addition.  It works very well, and as long as it does and I can use it safely, I'll stick with it.  But I'll keep your suggestion handy in case of future problems.

0 Kudos