Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chuckr
Level 8

Remoku issue

I just installed the Romoku web-based computer ROKU remote app.  It works like my Premium remote, except when I try to type into the TV search box while on HULU I have to hit each letter on the virtual remote twice for it to appear in the TV's HULU search box.  Two of the same letters then appear. Then I have to hit the return button on the virtual remote to erase one of the double letters.  Each time I do this only the latest letter appears in the app's remote screen but the letter string remains intact and updates the HULU screen on my TV.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
chuckr
Level 8

Re: ormolu

That subject should read: Remoku.

0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Re: ormolu

Does it happen when you use the actual Roku phone app? 

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

Re: Remoku issue

The global search across all channels should work with Remoku.  This is because the text input screen in Roku OS itself honors the different letter, number and other character events which can be submitted via the Remoku remote via the External Control Protocol (ECP).  The global search also takes advantage of the fact that "Deep Linking" needed for global search to work is a stated channel certification criteria for Roku to accept the channel into the Roku channel store.

However, once you enter the individual channel, it is left up to the channel author as to if they supply ECP or not.  It used to be the majority of channels did by nature of using a Roku provided BrightScript function for displaying a full screen search built into Roku OS had proper full ECP support.  Over time, Roku made the move towards a "SceneGraph" method of developing channels.  For the most part, this has several advantage.  The on downside to how Roku promoted SceneGraph is that full ECP support is *NOT* part of the channel certification criteria and the BrightScript Search Screen function is *prohibited* in the channel certification criteria.  Channels like YouTube have will decided to use their own keyboard layout look but not include support for the full set of ECP events.  Roku, for their part, then allows the channel to be published in that state.

Again, the immediate work-around for searching Hulu and YouTube via a remote app as the keyboard is to use the Roku OS global search across all the channels before going into the individual app.  In the long term, you could try calling Roku support and as for a feature request be submitted for Roku channel certification policy be updated to *require* full ECP support be provided on in-channel searching.  In some cases it seems like Roku does listen to users on issues were inconsistent usability across channels could be improved.  But in this specific case I have lost hope.  The YouTube channel has been left without full ECP support for the entire time it has been on Roku despite having been updated multiple times.  I'm under the impression that this specific frustration which impacts Remoku and official Roku smart phone remote apps alike will continue to remain with Roku not taking the situation seriously.

0 Kudos
chuckr
Level 8

Thanks!  I downloaded the ReMoku app with the added keyboard option and it works nicely, at least on HULU and Netflix.

't

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 9

What is the advantage of having Remoku???

I wonder if you can do the Global Search with your keyboard as opposed to the

stupid interface on the screen with the remote.

0 Kudos
chuckr
Level 8

The ReMoku app allows you to type in your search object from its keyboard rather then having to scroll to each letter in a matrix and enter them one at a time.  I don't know what you mean by "global search", I'm not that computer savvy.

boogernose
Level 9

you answered my question

ThanX

UPDATE

Remoku hasn't been updated since 2012. You do realize this is a Security risk.

It looks like the developer has abandoned it. I wont touch it and am surprised it works at all.

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

@boogernose wrote:

Remoku hasn't been updated since 2012. You do realize this is a Security risk.

It looks like the developer has abandoned it. I wont touch it and am surprised it works at all.

Not much has changed with the Roku OS External Control Protocol since 2012.

The source code is available on github under the BSD Open Source license.  I would post a link to help anyone interested find the right project, but due to extreme ambiguities specific to the Roku Community Guidelines I don't feel I can (I really wish I could get clarification on what exactly "advertising" means).  The github account holder's username is gonzotek.

You are free under the license to modify the code and release it.  So, if you are aware of a security issue, you can fork the project into one that you can maintain to address it being abandoned.

However, anyone can create a free github account and post on the project Issues tab any information they have about a security issue.  So far no one has done so.  They could also create a modified version with a security update and submit a "pull request."  That also has not happen.

Also, none of the script interacts directly external to the browser.  The network activity is mostly caused by the script using a function called "rokupost" to modify the browser DOM (Document Object Model) to modify a HTML form and submit it via the browser.  The other part which causes network activity is a function called findRokus that asks the browser if it can load an image at a specific web location.

By default, findRokus only uses addresses beginning with 192.168.1.x which is a private address range and normally can not be routed over the internet (unless it is tunneled in a VPN protocol).  The rokupost should only interact with results from findRokus or from an IP address you provided.  This limits the degree to which Remoku could be impacted by an external source.

Since the results of the HTML form and loading the image are parsed by the web browser, that is the code most likely to be exposed to an attack.  This isn't code that is contain directly in Remoku but rather code that makes up the web browser the Remoku depends on.  So, if you are using Chrome v17 or Firefox v10, you are truly using Remoku in a way that is completely from 2012 and probably contains known security issues.  If you are using an up to date web browser then the security sensitive code hasn't been abandon and is updated by nature of the web browser platform the Remoku javascript is using.

Normally I would agree with you that an application which is no longer maintained for over half a decade is likely to have compatibility or security issues.  But in this case, Remoku and it's use of Roku ECP both remain simplistic enough that it hasn't needed to be updated.

chuckr
Level 8

Thank you, Boog.  I understood about 10% of that, but I appreciate the time you took to analyze it and respond.  So, I downloaded the ReMoku app on my Samsung Galaxy S8, probably through a website on Google - I'm not sure.  Should I worry?  The app has worked perfectly from day 1 and I'm very happy with it, but not to the point I will take significant risk.

0 Kudos