Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Remoku issue

@fluke 

Well I didnt realize it was open source. I dont use Remoku - actually never heard of it

before this string. I'm not going to delve into it but I do think its buyer beware.

**bleep** a new remote is what 10 bucks so I really dont get it.and there are phone apps.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

ReMoku phone appReMoku phone appReMoku phone app keyboardReMoku phone app keyboard

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

I'm not sure which app your running.

But youve got an Android why not just use the official Roku app?

I'm sure its well maintained and seems to work well.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Those are not screen shots of Remoku by A. Cassidy Napoli.  Remoku is not an Android native app but rather works as a browser script by visiting remoku.tv or by installing as a browser extension for Chrome or Firefox.

Instead, those are screen shots of RoByte by TinyByte Apps.  The keyboard support in that app requires a $0.99 in-app purchase as it is considered by the developer to be a pro feature.  If you already purchased the feature, I recommend contacting the developer for support.  Their email address is listed in the Google Play app store as tinybyteapps at gmail.com.

I would have to agree with boogernose that you should consider starting with the official android Roku app by Roku Inc. themselves as can be found here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roku.remote

The official app has some functionality that no other third party app can provide such as private listening.  It is also completely free with no in-app purchases to unlock features.

If you really need an alternative to the official Roku android app, I would recommend RoMote by William Seemann which is available from both the Google Play Store and F-Droid app platform.  There is no in-store purchases required and no in-app advertising.  I would provide a link to it but the community moderators have taken on a militant stance on enforcing an extremely broad definition of "advertising."  If you really need an alternative to the official app but can't find RoMote based on the information I provided, let me know via the Roku Community Private Messages.

Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks, Fluke.

I did fix the issue by discovering that somehow the IP address it was trying to connect to had changed somehow, and I corrected it.  It works fine now.  You are correct, the app icon is labeled RoByte, but I got it by following the ReMoku app download site somehow.  And I did pay $.99 for the keyboard addition.  It works very well, and as long as it does and I can use it safely, I'll stick with it.  But I'll keep your suggestion handy in case of future problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@chuckr, I thought I had the same issue you originally reported (having to type the letter twice and then backspacing over the extra one). But for me, I found that I didn't have to do that. The remoku web app appears to buffer and send two letters at once. Just type what you're going to type and if your term is an odd number of letters hit a space after the last letter and the web remote will send it. I've been using this web app for signing in. You can paste your password into the keyboard input box, hit <space>, and the web app will send the whole thing to the Roku.

So instead of typing

RR(RR appear on the screen)backspace

OO backspace

KK backspace

UU backspace

Just type RO (RO show up on the screen) KU (ku show up on the screen)

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you, cipher, but the RoByte app I'm using now doesn't seem to have the problem and works very well, so I'll stick with it.  Since starting this thread I've discovered that HULU doesn't stream 5.1 audio through ROKU, and the video quality of some channels, especially in sports, is terrible.  HULU had the lineup I needed and with the additional cost of its enhanced DVR (which still does not allow live tv pause then FF through commercials) it is not much cheaper than cable, so I'm scrapping the whole experiment.  Too bad, I'd like to have cut the cord.  Maybe someday when the glitches are ironed out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

"still does not allow live tv pause then FF through commercials)"

Cable doesnt give you this either as far as I know.

The thing with 5.1 is I used to have it but I realized my High endish Stereo was good enough for me.

Cable is expensive and there are way too many shows repeating on differing stations.

The beauty of Roku is you can still have it on the side or as a backup.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Actually, since the Spectrum DVR is a physical disc drive in your setup as opposed to a cloud DVR controlled by the streaming service, Spectrum doesn't know or care what it records and FF's through.  So yes, so long as you pause during a commercial you can then FF through it.

5.1 might not be important to some, but is indispensable to me for realistic immersion in movies.

It's all personal preference.

I still have my ROKU, waiting for a streaming service that will meet my needs.  So far, none do.

Highlighted

Remoku does all key functions except text entry

Dusted-off Remoku for the first time in a year or two. (Haven't been to these forums in a long time, either.) It promptly updated itself. Now all the key functions work except text entry: nuthin', nada. (In my last version, I had to finesse text entry: the first character never took, but if I typed reasonably consistently, all the subsequent keystrokes made it.)

Anyone else?

Remoku Stable Channel
Build Date: February 4, 2020 10:24:50 AM
Debug Output
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
Browser has localStorage support.
appCache: NoUpdate
appCache: Checking
appCache: Checking

(Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm on an old computer — for a reason.)

– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016
Tags (1)
0 Kudos