Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iona-D
Level 10

Presenting My “Secret” Spaghetti Recipe For Your Ultimate Roku Experience!

I decided to do a different approach to the usual complaints, extreme comments, and sometimes even a bit paranoid expressions that most people assisting forums usually discuss and end up arguing over when in serious conflict over the year.  This time I will not add to that usual mix. I think that even the forum moderators need a holiday break themselves. So I am going to present the “Secret” sauce methodology of my festive rather tangy Spaghetti recipe for this Holiday season-and any other time of the year you want something simple to prepare and fool everyone by making them think you slaved over it for hours (actually only minutes until ready to eat!).

I have been preparing this Spaghetti recipe for many years-since I was a teenager after my teen social group would come to my home after going to the movies on Friday/Saturday night or simply just vegging out in front of the OTA television long before home theater even existed.   Now that Streaming is in the forefront of home entertainment, I always look forward to a steaming plate of Spaghetti set on a TV tray in front of my Roku enjoying all the offered content for Friday/Saturday evening. When unexpected guests pop up (especially at this time of year), I always have the ingredients listed below on hand to make this up in a jiffy.  If more than 1 other person is at my place, I serve it Buffet style and allow them to serve themselves (much easier on me).  Happy Holidays to all of you and I hope my "secret recipe" inspires and gives you some real relief from holiday stress bombardment. 

So without any more fanfare, here it is:  

Kraft Spaghetti Resized Down To 75%.jpg1 box Kraft Tangy Italian Spaghetti Classics    (You might find this at your local grocers like I do.  If not, you can order it online at Amazon, Walmart, possibly Dollar General.)

1 6 oz. Tomato Paste

1 tablespoon olive oil (recommended, but vegetable oil can be substituted)

Around 1 pound of extra lean ground beef (get as less fat as you can)

1 pound fresh white mushrooms-cleaned by rinsing in water, and the stem bottoms are cut off

1 5-6 oz. can whole black pitted olives-all canned liquid completely drained out

2 ½ (or 2.50) tomato paste measuring cans of water 

Instructions:

1.  Rub the base and sides of a medium to large skillet with oil.  Heat skillet until it’s hot.  
  2.  Add ground beef.  Brown meat until most of the pink disappears and the meat is crumbly.  Drain excess fat if needed.
  3.  Add the cleaned mushroom and continue cooking about 1-2 minutes until the pink color disappears completely and the mushrooms are well mixed with the meat/oil.
  4.  Add the tomato paste, then pouring into the mixture the tomato paste can measuring out the water, and the herbs & spices packet included in the box into the skillet.  Turn up the heat until boiling point is reached.
  5. Reduce heat to medium to medium low, add the drained olives, and simmer until sauce thickens (about 15-20 minutes), stirring occasionally.
  6. Meanwhile as the sauce cooks, have a boiling pot of water ready on the stove
  7.  Add the spaghetti included in the box.  Boil the spaghetti for the box’s recommended time (11 minutes).  Stirring occasionally with a simple dinner fork to separate the strands in order to avoid clumping and fluff them up a bit (it really works).  Drain.
  8. Serve hot sprinkled with the included Parmesan cheese packet included in the box. Up to 4 people.

Recommended desserts:  simple items like store bought cookies, cakes, instant pudding, Jello (though you have to make it several hours before), ice cream.

8 Replies
geekichick
Level 7

Re: Presenting My “Secret” Spaghetti Recipe For Your Ultimate Roku Experience!

That seems like it would be really good, I love spaghetti. Thank you for sharing! Smiley Happy

That which does not kill me makes me stronger. That which does kill me I'll deal with when I respawn.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Iona-D 

Thanks for sharing the recipe with the Community.

I'm just happy that the recipe doesn't call for SPAM, I think I've had my fill for the year already. Smiley LOL

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Iona-D
Level 10

I could not edit the recipe for some reason.  So some minor corrections:

One (1) 6 oz. CAN of Tomato Paste  (I accidently  omitted the word "can."  I like the idea of using it as a accurate "measuring cup" to add the water to the sauce.  Saves the need to have a measuring cup available in the first place!

Stretching the Spaghetti a bit more:  This happened to me recently.  Only one box & ingredients available and a few more guests than 4.  What to do?  I used the extra package of dry Spaghetti I had in the cupboard and cooked that.  I made sure the cooking time on that package was exactly the same as the Kraft Box's Spaghetti own when I bought it.  Drain as usual.  I also had another extra Parmesan Cheese jar which was used to sprinkle the cheese on the now larger amount of guest's Spaghetti plates.  I don't usually do this or it's my ideal, but in a pinch and a late hour after the grocer closes.........

boogernose
Level 12

I used to love Spaghetti and have my own recipe. Yours sounds GREAT!

But a year ago I found out Im a Diabetic so nOOdles are out. Any alternatives to noodles

Im all ears. I'm not allowed to eat a dam thing anymore especially anything

to do with grains or starch (carbos).

I used to like Prego.

Thats the stuff man as far as pre-made sauces go.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@boogernose Have you tried making mozzarella noodles? I've heard they are pretty tasty, and can be a decent replacement for regular noodles. Here's a sample recipe, although I've seen some that use different sets of ingredients: https://tasty.co/recipe/2-ingredient-pasta

There's also some good stuff on the free, live Tastemade and Food52 channels inside The Roku Channel from time to time, if you're feeling in need of any kitchen inspiration. 

Cheers,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
boogernose
Level 12

Mozzarella Noodles? sounds intriguing, have to try that.

No one should want to be a diabetic. I found out a year ago.

You wouldnt believe how confining it is. I cant eat a dam thing anymore.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@boogernose I have a few diabetic relatives, so I can relate. Let's hope some of the more recent scientific advancements continue to help alleviate these types of conditions. 

I've also heard of a few other varieties of noodles that were popular for being keto friendly. I don't know if they taste anything like a standard noodle, but might be another option to explore. e.g. https://thrivemarket.com/p/miracle-noodle-shirataki-noodles-fettuccine

Cheers,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 12

ThanX I'll bookmark those pages.

I'm a type 2 and not really bad.

It still sucks.

0 Kudos