Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimmyP
Level 8

Re: Please Stop Trashing Roku

Ha this is great.

0 Kudos
erodam
Level 8

I was a fan of Roku devices until I recently purchased a 2020 Ultra. Apparently the device itself is hit  or miss if it is going to have HDCP problems and I bought one that has the problem. I tried all the recommended 'fixes', several times, but none worked and I'd get the HDCP error randomly and sporadically resulting in 'side eye' looks from she who must not be named while, trying, to watch a show/movie in Dolby Vision...the show was "Queen's Gambit".

My TV is a Sony 950G and AVR is a Marantz SR5014 which are both 2.2+ compliant. The Ultra was connected to the AVR's HDMI input which I changed twice with no better result. Same with HDMI cord...neither the Roku supplied cord of my cord affected the error message and loss of video.

Restarting the device worked but it could and did happen again...resulting in another side eye look...sigh.

I contacted Roku via email but no response. I returned the Ultra and bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k for far less. The 4k worked perfectly out of the box and has never thrown an error.

I contacted Roku again notifying them of my return and this did trigger an 'I'm sorry...' email but still no response on if the random HDCP error was being addressed or if there was a fix.

I also have a Roku Streaming Stick+ which works perfectly but doesn't have Dolby Vision and apparently won't. I wanted DV just because.

I've read many different forums complaints of this problem and also just as many comments by those that have never experienced any problems at all...odd

I prefer Roku's GUI over Amazons. It is more refined and smoother IMO. But I much prefer a device that works so I use the 4K and the Roku SS+ is just a backup.

Not a fan of any brand that doesn't address complaints and/or problems. I do **bleep** but I also take action and that meant returning a device that doesn't work for one that does.

Perhaps I'll buy the Ultra again if I read about the problem and the fix but for now Amazon leads the way.

Iona-D
Level 13

The Infamous Roku Never Ending WhineFest

It has been a real downer everytime I log on to the Roku Forums-especially recently.  There is no, or even limited, attempts at communication between its members anymore.  

All I witness is constant pleading and whining over apps that some members expect to magically appear on the Roku Channel Store.   Or why an unexpected amount of money was deducted from their bank accounts with or without their consent, knowledge, or even bothering to read the fine print in the first place.   And what happened to the Roku’s own Customer Service Live Call In Service over and over again these agitated groups of new or soon-to-be-exiting members keep coming on and not bothering to look up or consider any other option except the online complaint department which these forums seem to morph into.  I covered all this before.  Now I will gather all these concepts into a more convenient one stop broad based topic for all to see and choose to follow if applicable.  

OK let's single out the purpose of forums.  Especially this one.  Roku Forums are a place to discuss topics relating to-in this case-cord cutting, model selection, limited troubleshooting, or just plain socializing with keeping Roku enabled devices and televisions somewhat somewhere within the post.  No trolling, cracking wise, insults or especially topic dumping should be done here. 

Topic dumping is the number one thing I see in the abuse sense displayed over and over again.  A plea or even whine pops up because someone somewhere expects Roku to sponsor a Call Center to talk people through their Roku related problems. Or put up a new app or even keepin the old ones should be done simply because they want it.   I don’t think it is going to happen ever again.  Why?  Wasting money on a loss leader (the physical devices) is really counter producted and simply stupid.  

The “real” Roku money is now in ads and subscriptions sold by Roku  as it’s third party money making activity. Not people generated problems. I don’t give my money (or critical credit cards issued in my own name) to third parties unless it’s in a retail store with an excellent return/exchange policy with a product/service it sells.  I use prepaid reloadable cards only.   If Roku attempts to “accidently '' withdraw any money from the “dummy” card I use for online third parties and is openly registered on my personal account forced by Roku to sign up for its own account, they will get absolutely nothing.   And that part has not changed in all the years I have been alive.  Long before I even existed.   If I have some sort of problem with a given app, I contact THEM directly and go from there.  Same with credit/debit cards issuing banks and their call centers.  Not Roku anymore except for actual Roku issues via email or maybe the forums.  If they chose not to respond, that’s their loss not mine.  End Of That Problem.

As for app selection or choices, there is really none.  Either it is offered or not.  Whether for past apps are quietly rescinded or simply not offered at the time of it’s debut for any reason.  I wanted Peacock TV.  I took advantage of its “early bird” greatly reduced sign up (at 30 dollars for 1 year) a whole week before it debuted.  I used my old faithful Gen 2 Chromecast and enjoyed it from day 1.  Not waste my time whining on these forums.  During the 2 months not offered on Roku, I bought 2 additional android devices and won’t give them up for anything.  A one time price for “insurance” again corporate game playing.  The Rokus have been since demoted downward and have some limited use here.   End Of This Problem.

Roku Call Center returning?  I don’t think so and frankly, I don’t need it.  Except for my Roku devices, the rest of my devices from other makers are all covered by other corporations Call Centers, and when they are purchased, limited returns/exchanges for a period of time (usually 1-3 months).  

So what will you choose?  Keep on whining and complaining or sit back and enjoy your purchases with greatly lowered stress levels?  You can see what I have been doing in the past few years!  I will now just post interesting thoughts and observations from time to time.  If I have an issue, I know where I am going.  And it is not here, that’s for sure!

0 Kudos
Nancy06
Level 7

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve been using ROKU ever since the early days. Recently I have had problems two things. First I keep getting an error message that the program won’t play because of problems with streaming regarding 4K content. Neither my Roku express nor my TV are 4K. It often takes several times unplugging then TV and RoKu, disconnecting the HDMI from TV and Roku, reconnecting HDMI connections, plugging in the TV, turning the TV on, and choosing an app and program before it will stream video. I can hear the audio though. 

Recently I could not get one app to load at all. Meanwhile no problems with thr ROKU tv. 

My exasperation is due to there being no way to get customer service on the phone unless you have billing issues or you are installing a new device. You basically have to tell them you’re installing a new device even if you aren’t to get help. There was a problem with the interface between the app and the ROKU update. The forum was not helpful nor were there standard Q and A responses. 

apparently they don’t care about users who aren’t new. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@Nancy06 wrote:

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve been using ROKU ever since the early days. Recently I have had problems two things. First I keep getting an error message that the program won’t play because of problems with streaming regarding 4K content. Neither my Roku express nor my TV are 4K. It often takes several times unplugging then TV and RoKu, disconnecting the HDMI from TV and Roku, reconnecting HDMI connections, plugging in the TV, turning the TV on, and choosing an app and program before it will stream video. I can hear the audio though. 

Recently I could not get one app to load at all. Meanwhile no problems with thr ROKU tv. 

My exasperation is due to there being no way to get customer service on the phone unless you have billing issues or you are installing a new device. You basically have to tell them you’re installing a new device even if you aren’t to get help. There was a problem with the interface between the app and the ROKU update. The forum was not helpful nor were there standard Q and A responses. 

apparently they don’t care about users who aren’t new. 

Your account was created on 7/6 - and this was/is the only post.

You didnt previously ask for any help or assistance (at least with this account), so the "help" you got was of course limited at best.

Wouldnt it have been better to ask for help/assistance, before claiming the "forum was not helpful"?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@boogernose wrote:

@Shadowfarble 

Didnt you mention you had a lower end Model Roku?

Those are some of the most demanding Channel/Apps

What difference's do you suppose exist between say an Ultra and lower end Models?

So, to be clear, if someone bought a lower end model they should have the expectation that it won't work?  If they can't make it work fully at a given price point, they should raise the price, not give a **bleep** experience.  Looking at the feature matrix, I don't see anything about lower end models not supporting specific apps, in fact it says "The most popular streaming channels" with a check mark on all models.  They should clearly publish it if it is unable to use specific channels so that people can keep it in mind when choosing a device.

boogernose
Level 18

@Anonymous 

What difference's do you suppose exist between say an Ultra and lower end Models?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@boogernose wrote:

@Gary-94080  You know many people have tried over the years to offer help.

But is gets very tiresome dealing with Ego's. I dont see where youve posted much

beyond the Media Player. You dont get exactly what you want, and now, you rant out

of frustration like a baby. What would you want over the phone aside from ranting

and holding someone hostage to your selfish Mental disease? Smply because yu cant

have your way and now. Do you have an actual problem or did you feel the need to add input?

Im certain over the phone this would become tiresome as well.

Posts like this are why people want direct support from the manufacturers and not the dumpster fire that is most forums.  If they are going to be made to feel like an idiot for asking questions on the forum, why wouldn't they want to go directly to the manufacturer.  It is also a matter of validity of the information.  I trust that the manufacturer is going to have the best information on their product, rather than anyone who clicks the reply button. 

Your complaint about "Ego's"(SIC) in a post like this is really pretty entertaining.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@boogernose wrote:

@Anonymous 

Exactly what is laid out in the feature matrix.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

@Anonymous 

So youre venting your frustrations toward me.

I'm on several support forums and it certainly is bad manners to vent and blame and rant and then ask a question or demand.

it is taking license of your anonymity. You wouldnt do that face to face its immature here.

People wont want to help.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos