Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DIY-OTA-Guy
Level 7

Over the Air TV

I just learned about the Roku TV where an over the air antenna can be plugged into a Roku TV and enjoy OTA broadcasts.

I don't own a Roku TV so,

Two questions come to mind:

Should Roku come out with a new version of their streaming boxes with an OTV tuner built in ?

Since, so far, they haven't why not build an APP that can accept an OTA signal coming from my antenna to my TV ?

I'd rather not have to buy a Roku TV just for OTA reception, but would buy a Roku Box with an OTA tuner built in.

(SiliconDust's HD-HomeRun has a beta app available for loading onto a Roku device, but it does not work.... it cannot hold onto a signal and the app bombs out)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
optikhog
Level 10

Re: Over the Air TV

Tablo has the answer. We love ours. They even have a huge sale going on...

https://www.tablotv.com/
0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 10

You can hook a digital antenna up to any TV. Roku or Not as far as I know..

I believe its a Federal Law.

0 Kudos
CParker
Level 8

Another shout out to Tablo. When we ditched cable TV I put up an antenna, bought a Tablo, put a Roku device on every TV, and.... voila! The Tablo does all of our OTA recording and streams it to any TV in the house through the Roku Tablo app.
I, personally, would NOT like to see Roku getting into the OTA DVR business. Let Roku be Roku and do what they do and continue to improve and show everyone else how it's done.

Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
Sonar
Level 7

That is great information! The tablo device will solve the problems I have noted during my own initial set-up for streaming TV. NOW, I can finally cut that pesky cord. (Off to the tablo store to get my recording device...

@CParker wrote:

Another shout out to Tablo. When we ditched cable TV I put up an antenna, bought a Tablo, put a Roku device on every TV, and.... voila! The Tablo does all of our OTA recording and streams it to any TV in the house through the Roku Tablo app.
I, personally, would NOT like to see Roku getting into the OTA DVR business. Let Roku be Roku and do what they do and continue to improve and show everyone else how it's done.

0 Kudos
CParker
Level 8

@Sonar , we had TiVo before with cable (I used the TiVo devices instead of the Cable company DVRs which suck). Then when we were planning to cut the cable TV off, I switched the TiVos over to OTA by removing the cable cards (not sure if any of the new TiVos even give you the option of doing either cable card or OTA). The issue with the TiVos was the subscription service. I had 2 Bolts and 2 TiVo minis. The Bolts EACH needed a subscription. I was costing a lot per year to keep them active. 

The Tablo subscription you pay once. I only need one Table. I got the Quad so it has 4 tuners. I have 4 TVs. Living room has an Ultra, the 2 bedrooms and the kitchen have Streaming Stick+. The Tablo can feed all 4 of them at once if I want. (I've tested that, but the reality of it is we've never actually used more than 2 different streams in normal running).
So now it's OTA with DVR taken care of by Tablo, and we added Philo for those cable stations we actually watched (HGTV, Travel, Food Network, History, etc).

And Roku is the "one ring to bind them all"

So far this setup has exceeded my expectations.

Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
Rich_T
Level 9

There is a Now TV box with  an antenna input available in the UK (Now TV uses a stripped down version of the roku software on roku made hardware) video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGD4xgZjQRk

Although for over the air broadcasts ( ie live TV) your better off just adding an aerial ( antenna) input to your TV in order to pick up over the air broadcast

0 Kudos