Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iona-D
Level 13

Re: Nvidia Shield

Oh, I can see why you don't wish to discuss Windows Vista.  That was my first computer and the one my present Chromebook replaced!  

0 Kudos
kpDenmark
Level 7

Thx for the warning , a bit too late i didt see it, so now im the sory ass owner of a  brand new box .Im from Denmark and i cant use it for **bleep**,,, MY ADVISE DONT THROW MONEY OUT THE WINDOW if u are from EU.... ,, 

0 Kudos
raymondred
Level 7

Hello,

The Shield is more skilled, however at the cost it should be. For family utilize a Roku is far simpler to utilize, particularly with nearby media. 

Thanks

RAYMOND RED
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@raymondred wrote:

Hello,

The Shield is more skilled, however at the cost it should be. For family utilize a Roku is far simpler to utilize, particularly with nearby media. 

Thanks

I agree, to a point. Once the Shield is set up, it's really no more difficult to use than a Roku. Using Kodi for local media does require some advanced knowledge to configure it properly. But for watching Prime Video, Netflix or YouTube, there's no difference in the user interface.

And I say this as someone with almost a dozen Roku devices, as well as two Shield players. It all depends on how it's set up. I like both platforms, for different reasons. For the online streaming providers, the Shield is definitely overkill, but about the same from the user standpoint. For local media, the Shield can't be touched, since it has a Gigabit Ethernet port and supported almost every audio and video codec, as well as the container. I don't have to transcode anything in my library, while my Roku devices need it for at least the audio for Blu Ray or higher quality, and they choke on my UHD rips because of the slower Ethernet connection. For whatever reason, I can't get my Roku devices to stream any faster via WiFi, even though I have several 802.11ac access points on my Gigabit network. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
inshra334ws
Level 7

I even have an electronic mail that changed into sent from my ROKU keep on with upgrade to the new ROKU Express+ for $15.00 but when I click on the link it says the ROKU Express+ is $39.99 and once I check out there may be no bargain implemented to my buy.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@inshra334ws Your post has nothing to do with this thread.

The Express+ for $39.99 is the new 4K version. It is in no way comparable to the HD version of the Express, which is the reason for the price difference. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ajaynagar
Level 7

NVIDIA easily won the 2019 NVIDIA Shield vs Roku Ultra battle thanks to superior specs and features, but the new Roku Ultra 2020 just made the fight more competitive by adding Dolby Vision and Atmos, Bluetooth support, and improved wireless range. 

0 Kudos