Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New forums?

As of now, subject to reevaluation in the future, I really, Really, REALLY do not like the new forum lack of style.

This "may" fix the spam problem but it seem to create many more problems than it cures. It is a lot like giving someone  gangrene in order to stop them from beading to death.

So far I see zero positives except for terminal fever than keeps everyone warm.

I would go into specifics but there are simply too many to list.

Of course it will have  the desired effect. Usage will drop dramatically.

makaiguy
Level 10

@atc98092 wrote:

There are definitely some refinements needed, such as a link to access the first unread message in a thread, or marking a forum as read. Some things were missed while testing, but hopefully can be addressed quickly. 

Absolutely essential.

Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing the feedback here. 

We're continuing to evaluate this information for ongoing changes and improvements as we go. The Roku Community is an evolution of our previous Roku Forums, offering new spaces for support/troubleshooting, discussions, and Roku resources for our customers. 

We know that change can be an adjustment, and we appreciate your consideration through the process.

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

@jeffrok wrote:
I think it's going to turn into a purely troubleshooting tool instead of a conversation forum..

Several days of showing up as a stranger and having to sign in... then met with no way to remember what post I read last and I'm coming around to your idea.

A forum so annoying that you eventually just stop showing up may not have been the intended effect, but it's a real one.

Regarding the spam: When the medicine cures by killing the patient it's time re-evaluate the medicine.

Edit:

Between the time I signed in (what, 50 times in the last 2 days?) and clicked to post this message - I had to sign in again (51?) to complete the process. It's not me that has to adjust to change. That well heeled line is what developers tell users when they're so proud of the world's ugliest baby they don't notice when their friends stop coming over.

If we want to have a 'Community' we're gonna need something way more friendly towards the concept of Community.

If we want something that works as well as outsourced phone support - we probably got that now. Good Job.

atc98092
Level 13

@DubTaylor wrote:

Between the time I signed in (what, 50 times in the last 2 days?) and clicked to post this message - I had to sign in again (51?) to complete the process. It's not me that has to adjust to change. That well heeled line is what developers tell users when they're so proud of the world's ugliest baby they don't notice when their friends stop coming over.

Dub, I'm wondering if it's your browser. I've found that once I've logged in, I haven't had to log in again unless I've closed the browser. Perhaps some amount of time would time me out requiring a new login. But over (so far) about 5 hours today I've only logged in the first time. And this is my work computer, which is tightly locked down and I do not have admin rights on. I'm using Chrome, but it's not tied to my Gmail account, and the browser doesn't allow me to save passwords in the browser itself. If this browser isn't kicking me out, I can't understand why you are being forced to log in so much. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

@atc98092 wrote:

@DubTaylor wrote:

Dub, I'm wondering if it's your browser. I've found that once I've logged in, I haven't had to log in again unless I've closed the browser. Perhaps some amount of time would time me out requiring a new login. But over (so far) about 5 hours today I've only logged in the first time. And this is my work computer, which is tightly locked down and I do not have admin rights on. I'm using Chrome, but it's not tied to my Gmail account, and the browser doesn't allow me to save passwords in the browser itself. If this browser isn't kicking me out, I can't understand why you are being forced to log in so much. 

Yep, tis a mystery.

Chrome here, allowing cookies (forums aren't much good otherwise), etc, etc... Every other forum I participate in has no issue, but as I recall Roku.com has never, ever remembered me or honored my request for same. Can't explain it. Now the forum and Roku.com are joined at the hip I can see this problem going on for ever (as I resist change - for good reason).

If I have to log in again to finish this post - I won't be surprised (and I wasn't when I had to re-re-log in to finish the post). Sometimes I'll stay logged in for 10 minutes, but that's been the record so far.

Edit: I just happened to think about that AD-WALL I have erected around here. I have disabled the perimeter guards so we'll see if that helps.

0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

@atc98092 wrote:

Yep, that's it exactly. As long as my browser is open all is well. Close the browser and I become a mystery.

Well, you know what? That's not how it's supposed to work by any stretch of the imagination on a public forum where a 'Community' exists. That's how it's supposed to work when I check the balance at my bank - and does if I'm dumb enough to forget to log out.

Now we get to see how many time I have to log in to post this message...

(no issues)

atc98092
Level 13

Yeah, I wish the Remember Me checkbox would actually keep us logged in through browser closures, as does almost every other forum I use. But I can live with logging in once per browser session. Since my home browsers all save my login info, it's no big deal. My work computer is blocked from saving stuff, so on this computer I have to live with typing it all in manually. The horror! Smiley Tongue 

I've been logged in since 5AM this morning, and it's now 1:15, so it's been over 8 hours without requiring a login. I'm going to leave the browser open overnight and see if I'm still logged in tomorrow morning. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 9

Love The New Forum Look, Roku Staff Do Keep It Up!

Like the new look pf this and your other forums and huge effort in the forum upgrades.  A bit confusing at first to use, but getting easier all the time.  

0 Kudos
fredneck
Level 10

Re: Love The New Forum Look, Roku Staff Do Keep It Up!

I know change is always hard until you get used to the changes and then it becomes old hat until next time it changes again. Am also having the same annoying  issue whether I check the remember me box or not. It's just like the Roku website, every time I close the browser and come back, need to sign back in and redo the the captcha again. Hopefully something that can get fixed in time.

Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
0 Kudos