Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heyitsrick
Level 10

New Roku Players Announced - No Dolby Vision On New Ultra

Roku announced their new slate of set top players and the roll out of OS 9.2. Unfortunately for many, no Dolby Vision HDR, even on the new Ultra:

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Toddwrtr
Level 7

Re: New Roku Players Announced - No Dolby Vision On New Ultra

Missed opportunity, if you ask me, and I find the entire "new" lineup not really all that new.

Disappointments:
1. No Dolby Vision
2. Entry-level devices still only single-band 2.4Ghz wi-fi

Save your money and buy an Apple TV 4K, then.... Even Amazon's Fire Stick 4K supports Dolby Vision.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@Toddwrtr wrote:

Missed opportunity, if you ask me, and I find the entire "new" lineup not really all that new.

Disappointments:
1. No Dolby Atmos
2. Entry-level devices still only single-band 2.4Ghz wi-fi

Save your money and buy an Apple TV 4K, then....

Roku supports Dolby Atmos on streaming sites that offer it. I don't have my Ultra connected to an Atmos enabled AVR, but when I did I had Atmos from Vudu, and I believe that Amazon also now offers it. It's Dolby Vision they dropped the ball with. Nvidia added it to the new Shield. And from what I read on other forums, the Apple TV has its own set of issues. There just isn't a single, do it all streaming device yet. The Shield is the closest for me, since I can watch all my local content, including 4K HDR and lossless audio, without transcoding or compression. For my use, the lack of YouTube HDR is the only thing missing, but that's not a significant demerit at this time. YT just doesn't have that much HDR content that isn't a short demo video anyway.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Level 7

I had meant to type "No Dolby Vision," and have corrected my original post.

0 Kudos