Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roxburylib
Level 8

Re: New Channels?

Jump to solution

I'm likewise frustrated that Roku eliminated the Just Added listings. There may have been a lot of garbage to flip past, but I've found many channels of interest using it. New and Notable is fine for what it is: notable "new" channels, but there are channels on that list that have been there for what seems to be over a year. It's not something I need to look at often for that reason. Just Added would have dozens of new channels every week.

I guess I'll have to use a website to look for new channels. It was a lot more convenient doing it within Roku's system because I could quickly add the channel and open it. Doing it via the web takes more steps to do the same thing. It was one of the advantages Roku had over the Amazon Fire.

Here's the Roku Guide:

https://www.rokuguide.com/channels/all-by-date

Jump to solution

I agree, how did removing the new and notable help, anyone? Was it to drive traffic to the Roku Channel. The new and notable now is all huge channels. No little guys, like us, anymore. 

Please, ROKU, from a long-time developer, tell us why and please put it back up! 

Iona-D
Level 10

Jump to solution

I do keep an email subscription to Roku's many alerts, promotions, & heads up on newsworthy topics as I have little time or patience to dig through long menus and channel apps all the time since I became a Roku subscriber and user.  Sometimes they include new channels.  Sometimes they also include other topics of interest.  Perhaps this is the intended replacement of the now dropped item on the menu?  I cannot say for sure.

I figure that they already have my business email address anyway.  Why not sign up for those all those email promotions? I just have to remember to delete them as I read them since my mailbox gets cluttered very quickly.

It's human nature to want easy fixes plus even being spoon fed and many times corporations simply don't the time or even like to make things easier on their now totally involved-& hooked-customers! 

There are always  trade offs everywhere in life-Including the Streaming World & Roku.

0 Kudos
bubba9000
Level 8

Jump to solution

"Sometimes" doesn't cut it. Neither do "trade offs".

I'm busy too and don't have the time to sift through numerous e-mails and websites looking for something that was available practically from the start and only required a few seconds and clicks with  a remote control to find.

Roku needs to to do the smart thing and bring back the New category.

@Iona-D wrote:

I do keep an email subscription to Roku's many alerts, promotions, & heads up on newsworthy topics as I have little time or patience to dig through long menus and channel apps all the time since I became a Roku subscriber and user.  Sometimes they include new channels.  Sometimes they also include other topics of interest.  Perhaps this is the intended replacement of the now dropped item on the menu?  I cannot say for sure.

I figure that they already have my business email address anyway.  Why not sign up for those all those email promotions? I just have to remember to delete them as I read them since my mailbox gets cluttered very quickly.

It's human nature to want easy fixes plus even being spoon fed and many times corporations simply don't the time or even like to make things easier on their now totally involved-& hooked-customers! 

There are always  trade offs everywhere in life-Including the Streaming World & Roku.

doesitmatter
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Iona-D wrote:

The last thing I want or need is yet more emails..... I don't know about you but between my personal and work emails, I'm already deleting and sending many people to the junk folder. Anytime I can unselect for promo's and whatnot, I do. Clearly you have the time to wade through endless emails, I do not and do not want to spend doing such.

How exactly is having a Just Added section being spoon fed? Since we all had to sit here and click through a bunch of religious and other garbage channels to get to the ones one may find interesting, I would hardly call that being spoon fed.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 10

Jump to solution

From Wikipedia:

"Do it yourself" ("DIY") is the method of building, modifying, or repairing things without the direct aid of experts or professionals.

From Google's Own Search Engine:

The DIY movement is a re-introduction (often to urban and suburban dwellers) of the old pattern of personal involvement and use of skills in the upkeep of a house or apartment, making clothes; maintenance of cars, computers, websites; or any material aspect of living.  

Congratulations Bubba9000,  doesitmatter, and pretty much anyone else reading this!  Both of you have been knowingly or unknowingly drafted into this “new” movement of self empowerment.  This is where most of us here will experience the savings of real monetary cash every month by becoming Cord Cutters or at least Cable Supplementers (to more traditional Cable subscriptions) and cut our bills really down to nothing or next-to nothing.  Is it a free lunch? Well no, the actual cost is far more hidden.

That is where the DIY movement comes in.  By taking over most of what once corporations did for their customers, we do reap the savings-at our expense of other activities all of us have within our homes and lives .  

I’m now forcibly retired from the working world and can now look back at the way the working world was before emails, texts, gigs and even coupon clipping.  When I was in the Middle Class, I hired people to do the tasks that I did not have time for. Or even better, I bought a new appliance, car, cable tv, or pretty much whatever I wanted when the old one gave our or simply I tire of it.   I worked hard just like you are doing now and always on the weekends made sure I had time for myself. The corporations I did business with had their organizations set up to cater to the wishes and whims of the huge Middle Income crowd.  

Now it’s a quite a bit different.  I-and the rest of you in greater or lesser degrees-had to adapt to a world that no longer values their customer time (back to coupon clipping via email texts, & discount shopping).   I’m cash strapped with a shrinking income in a world that does not value anything except themselves. So I “weaned off” anything approaching “customer service” (spoon-fed help at best) and embraced buying something that will cut back on cash leaving me each month.  The Rokus always did what they were designed for and I no longer have to pay out hundreds of dollars each month for cable. The downsides? I had to improvise many times after I dumped cable by exploring inexpensive very simple solutions like Extra Long Extenders (to pull in the best WiFi signal & and/or avoid electronic interference by other devices or even the tv itself), to applications of On/Off Switches and Timers to better control my monthly Data Allotment and extend the lives of all my devices.  Time was spent through research via web and former work email is what I and many of us here and beyond do to trade for cash control. I know many of you just hate that thought but remember you really can’t get something for nothing. Next to nothing is the best one can expect to get without resorting to stealing. That is the real hidden trade off I think of every time I use my streaming devices.   

I sometimes hate dropping down so far with this new reality, but one must adapt in few or many ways available.  Just like my own father, mother, and grandparents did during the Great Depression.

0 Kudos
bubba9000
Level 8

Jump to solution

Let me simplify it for you;

'Just Added' worked just fine. Just add it back.

@Iona-D wrote:
(Off topic babble deleted to save bandwidth and a few trees)

Iona-D
Level 10

Jump to solution
A brief agreement always with customer satisfaction. Still not going to or even likely to happen. Probably too much work & hassle for someone @ Roku to bring it back ever again in it's previous form.
0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 10

Jump to solution

you have to consider some people might not want it.

0 Kudos
roxburylib
Level 8

Jump to solution

@boogernose wrote:

you have to consider some people might not want it.

I'd have to consider that the annoyance some people might find with having one extra menu item they'll never look at as being a lesser concern than others getting back the means to find new channel content on the Roku. If that really is a bother, let's delete New and Notable because most of the channels in that menu exist on others on the streaming page and, for most weeks, there is nothing new on it. The notable content is on other menus.

Dump New and Notable and bring back Just Added because the former isn't particularly useful for anybody while the latter is useful for some Roku users. Without Just Added, I would not have found half the Roku content that I've installed.