Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TravisFCS
Level 7

Name issues with Roku express

Jump to solution

Looking for feedback if possible. i have just recently setup a new roku express. i have multiple on my network, so naming convention is very important. i was able to change the name of the device in "My Account" successfully. problem is, when i scan for device using a device that i wanna mirror cast from, the device name show as the generic "Roku" name. i have tried rebooting computers, mobile devices, and roku itself, but the name does not update to the current name i have set under my roku profile. what can i do to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TravisFCS
Level 7

Re: Name issues with Roku express

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply. After a lot of head scratching, and renaming, i decided to change the name. this is how i figured out the solution. in my case, i was using too many characters... Strangely enough though, rather than just show the name i typed with a cut off point, it changed the name completely. i did a few tests and found 25 characters will work, so i didn't try making it any longer. after renaming, it showed as it was supposed to. it would be nice if these character limits were shown as a hint when editing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

I believe it takes some time for the new name to propagate to the device. I can't say how long, but all my devices do show the names I've given them.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TravisFCS
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply. After a lot of head scratching, and renaming, i decided to change the name. this is how i figured out the solution. in my case, i was using too many characters... Strangely enough though, rather than just show the name i typed with a cut off point, it changed the name completely. i did a few tests and found 25 characters will work, so i didn't try making it any longer. after renaming, it showed as it was supposed to. it would be nice if these character limits were shown as a hint when editing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos