Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scottt1174
Level 7

Looks like Roku is getting out of the hardware business!

Here is the article. No disrespect. Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thever ... ness-model
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Looks like Roku is getting out of the hardware business!

That's a 6-month-old story, has been discussed here already. It does not say they are getting out of the hardware business. It says that the CEO wants the company to be thought of as an advertising business instead of a hardware business, and that advertising revenue will be more abundant going forward than revenue from selling hardware.
0 Kudos
Scottt1174
Level 7

No they are getting out of the hardware business. I know people in the business but thanks for your input.It's going to be a dying platform in a few years.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

I remember when TiVo got out of the hardware business like 8 years ago.
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

From a UK point of view Roku hardware, and Amazon Tv hardware is the equivalent to the Freeview ( digital TV converter) boxes , after a while all TVs had digital TV built in, and the available freeview ( digital TV converter) boxes available /being sold dried up.

Roku hardware ( as well as the likes fo Fire TV etc)  provides so called Smart TV functionality to TVs that lack it, now, and for some time virtualy all TVs sold have had smart TV  functionality, (in the UK no Roku powered Smart TVs exist ) So why would you need an additional piece of hardware, at additional cost to replicate something that the TV can already do?
 The only use going forward for add on "smart TV" devices will be when the inevitable " this app is no longer supported on this TV" messages start to appear, and in order to get BBC iPlayer etc back you will need a fire tv/Roku device
0 Kudos
Scottt1174
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:
I remember when TiVo got out of the hardware business like 8 years ago.

What is Tivo?
0 Kudos