Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Limiting Roku access?

There's no API for remoku..mainly because it's a part-time hobby project of mine, and a proper API that could enable third-party website control over a Roku needs to be planned with security in mind. Remoku also stores the addresses of Rokus it discovers (as well as all of the other user-data) in the localStorage area of a browser, not in the cloud, which would probably need to change if I wanted to enable interactions of things like IFTTT recipes. I have considered adding an API before, and it's on my todo list to at least plan out, but I'd like to do it right so that Remoku doesn't become a security threat to Roku, and my day job has become more demanding (and rewarding) over the last year, so time is not my friend at the moment.

You are however welcome to take the source code (messy as it is Smiley Happy ) and hack away at it. I'd be happy to answer any questions. You'll also probably want to pore over the External Control Guide of the Roku SDK, as most of what Remoku can do with a Roku is documented there. If you register as a developer on Roku.com, you can also download the sdk, it includes some example C code for network remote control, as well as an android/java remote control client, if you'd prefer to work in either of those languages or environments. I've also put together an AutoIt script to handle the basic remote functions for someone who needed speech accessibility via Windows, a few months back:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51869#p353641 (compiled binary and source included)
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Many thanks for the links - the external control looks like the perfect place for me to start. I registered for a Roku developers account and downloaded the SDK and samples - will start playing with them and see what I can learn.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks to gilgamesh, I believe that using the router's built-in time/scheduling function to "throttle-down" a MAC address is really a good solution for a lot of reasons. Not only can I turn off my Roku at certain times, I can also turn on or off the wireless IP cam's port...great workaround.
Roku2 XD (mostly Amazon TV prior purchases on Kindle); LG TV (HDMI)
Netgear N600 (WNDR3400) dual-band router & Motorola modem (Comcast)
Sonos audio (private 802.11 bridged network)
Foscam camera (IP port forwarded from router)
HP wireless printer
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I would be interested in this as well... My 13 year old autistic son is addicted to tv... He’s obsessed and will wait, turn the tv off and on for an hour, but when he finally does, he finds something else to do...
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I would love a feature that limits time since I have the TV in my daughter's room and have caught her trying to watch it at night.  If we have it for cell phones I don't see why it is not available for Roku.  Seems like it would not be too much to ask that someone put it in a s a feature.  In fact it would be something that would make Roku stand out from the others.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Might be smarter to limit at the router level - this gives you control over ALL devices on your network.  Several routers now have a feature which can set timers and schedules for devices/groups of devices.  For example, we have an Amplifi HD router which does exactly this: https://amplifi.com/amplifi-hd

0 Kudos
Level 11

I did it during Thanksgiving this year with a trusty inexpensive basic Timer from Philips. I set it to go on and off whenever I want it to BEFORE my guests arrived.  And I positioned (plugged it in) at the electrical wall socket rather than hanging it up on a power strip for all to see (and  possibly defeating my purpose of gentle crowd control).

Sometimes simple solutions are the best way as even adults don't look too far when their attention is diverted/distracted elsewhere.

Timer Information:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Community-Discussions/Using-A-Dependable-Data-Saving-Timer-With-My-Rok...   

Highlighted
Level 7

thats a wonderful idea!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

The timer idea is what I was thinking of as well. You can even buy smart outlets which can be controlled by your smart phone. Here is one such example. 

Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
0 Kudos