Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CParker
Level 9

Life with Roku - observations 1 year in...

So I'm approaching a year now with Roku. I had TiVo first on cable card and then switched them over to OTA. But the Subscription fees were killing me (I had 2 TiVo Bolts and 2 minis). I have a decent antenna, but needed the DVR capabillity so... I found Tablo. Tablo + Roku stick was working out great so retired the TiVos (they're in the basement... nobody seems to want them) and bought an Ultra for the living room and have Streaming Stick+ units on the 3 other TVs. Antenna goes to Tablo. Tablo streams to any or all TVs using the Tablo Roku app.
Programming: We still wanted some of the cable channels we actually watched and since they were mostly ViaCom channels (HGTV, DIY, Food Network, Cooking Channel, Travel, Discovery, etc...) I found Philo. For $20 a month we get most of what we used to actually watch on cable. Not all. But most.

Recently our internet provider (Charter/Spectrum) started offering a couple of streaming package options and cloud DVR service. They have one that includes locals and a bunch of other stuff and then you get to choose 10 channels from a list of optional channels. After much research, chatting with online reps, phone calls for clarification of this or that, and because I seem to be the guy that friends and family ask about this stuff... I activated the aforementioned Spectrum TV Choice package and chose 10 channels that we were not getting from Philo, but that we would watch (CNN, CNBC, ESPN. FX, NBCSportsNetwork, National Geographic, SyFy, TNT, Weather Channel, and MSNBC) along with the cloud DVR. I have internet and phone through Spectrum already and adding this package increased my monthly bill by $28 (including all taxes and fees)

I think packages LIKE these are becoming more and more available. I could see them as a means for a lot of people to cut their cable bill by quite a bit. No truck roll. No extra equipment. No additional fees for added set top boxes or cable cards. The SpectrumTV app on Roku seems to work well. Now whether or not I KEEP this service I think depends upon how useful it is (or becomes) for $28 a month. We watch locals over the antenna through the Tablo. But.... it's still an antenna and with the towers 38 miles out and trees in the way, it sometimes ACTS like an antenna. So is having a backup plan for the locals PLUS the additional channels going to be worth it? I'm going to keep it through spring and see how the antenna fairs when the trees leaf out again. So I'll make the "Go" or "No Go" decision in early summer.

ALL of this is possible though because of the Rokus. So... almost a year in and I think I can state that we're committed. Smiley Very Happy (...although after 40 years I think my wife would say I'm the one that should be committed... but that's an entirely different story...)

Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
1 Reply
boogernose
Level 12

Re: Life with Roku - observations 1 year in...

I'm happy with Roku.

It works for me also.

I dont have cable at all. Just Internet from a dedicated provider.

I'm beyond being used to cable.

Every time I'm at someones house with cable and have free reign

I feel like I dont miss it at all.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos