Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gardenjoy3
Level 7

Is this a real email?

Jump to solution

We received an email today from roku@emailsn.roku.com, com with the information below. Nothing happened when my wife clicked the link (except I panicked). The Best Buy Geek Squad support thinks it was authentic. Can anyone help us figure out whether this was malware or legitimate?

Thank you so much.

Dear Roku Customer,

We wanted to let you know that your Roku device recently received a software update with new features including performance improvements, additional customization options, and more.

Click here to learn more.

Happy Streaming™

The Roku Team

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Is this a real email?

Jump to solution

@gardenjoy3 

Thanks for the inquiry.

It would appear that this email was sent from Roku, but I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate team regarding this issue.

For more information about scams, visit our Support page here: How do I protect myself from activation and technical support scams?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@gardenjoy3 

Thanks for the inquiry.

It would appear that this email was sent from Roku, but I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate team regarding this issue.

For more information about scams, visit our Support page here: How do I protect myself from activation and technical support scams?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

trswartz
Level 8

Jump to solution

I received this email as well...but when I hovered my mouse over the link I could tell it was not from Roku. I wonder who else has gotten this and how they knew we were Roku subscribers?

Robin5
Level 7

Jump to solution

I got the email as well and figured it was a scam. I never open links in an email anymore, but go to the internet and open the official company website to check.  I also would like to know how they knew I had a Roku account, especially since I haven't used it in weeks.

atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

That link goes to a legitimate Roku web site, so I don't think it was a scammer. I am puzzled why Roku has suddenly started sending emails like this. I've never received such a notification in the close to 10 years I've used their devices. I receive emails about beta updates, but that's a different situation. But no, it doesn't appear to be bogus. I'm not certain why @RokuDanny-R didn't confirm that. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
fluke
Level 13

Jump to solution
@atc98092 wrote:

That link goes to a legitimate Roku web site, so I don't think it was a scammer. I am puzzled why Roku has suddenly started sending emails like this. I've never received such a notification in the close to 10 years I've used their devices. I receive emails about beta updates, but that's a different situation. But no, it doesn't appear to be bogus. I'm not certain why @RokuDanny-R didn't confirm that. 

I agree with the information given so far, it doesn't sound like a scammer.  But to be fair to RokuDanny-R, without seeing the full text of the email, it is hard to tell.

I am guessing we are suddenly seeing these emails because Roku suddenly feels the need to measure customer engagement in a different way.  It has been an odd year for Roku with a couple mega-corps being slow to release their channels to Roku.  If some of us may have unplugged our Roku for now to work-around access to a specific streaming service.  This will impact the type of statistics Roku is able to collect.  They probably also want to get the message delivered that Air Play 2 is now a feature.

If you want to be sure the email is legitimately from Roku, you need to check the email headers (Gmail provides this option as "Show original").

Roku emails are digitally signed following the DKIM and DMARC standards.  Some email servers will authenticate these digital signatures.  In the case of Gmail, the verifications appear in the header as follows:

ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=pass header.i=@email1.roku.com header.s=0 header.b=Hu3Punph; spf=pass (google.com: domain of roku@email1.roku.com designates 173.213.2.86 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=roku@email1.roku.com; dmarc=pass (p=QUARANTINE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=roku.com

and

Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; dkim=pass header.i=@email1.roku.com header.s=0 header.b=Hu3Punph; spf=pass (google.com: domain of roku@email1.roku.com designates 173.213.2.86 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=roku@email1.roku.com; dmarc=pass (p=QUARANTINE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=roku.com

Those "dkim=pass" and "dmarc=pass" that was added by the mx.google.com server are important.

That all having been said, there is still good reason to be upset when seeing someone blindly click on "here" in an email.  There are good indications that domain typo squating attacks are being used against the Roku community.  It isn't that far of a reach to believe this will evolve into email phishing attacks.

There are a number of YouTube videos that go over this issue:

"Security Now 571: Phishing & Filtering" is a good one but is 2 hours long

The company KnowBe4 also has posted several videos on their channel that go over Phishing attacks as well.  The intention of the videos is clearly to encourage companies to sign up for their services but the videos can still be useful for those with no intention of ever buying their services.

Learning more about what phishing attack emails are and how they work may be helpful for the day when it isn't a legitimate email.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Just purchased a Roku and received a spam message to win an Apple phone. Did not open link of course and reported the user. My questions are. 1 How did he know I was a member 2 why could I not block him/her 3 And why has this been going on with impunity for a long time now? 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Two weeks ago and you have not replied to my spam message that I received. Now it has happened again! Are you going to offer any level of protection to your customers Roku? Great choice of content, poor customer protection.

David

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing spam, please feel free to report the user by pressing the Report link within the private message so we can look further into the user and their activity.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Done it -twice. No bloody response. Until now. Annoyed that this site is so poorly controlled.

0 Kudos