Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredneck
Level 11

Imagine if Roku Built Their Own Channel Like YouTube

Many Roku users would love to share their content on the Roku platform. But the technical hoops one needs to jump through when creating a Roku channel turns many away.

Wouldn't it be nice if Roku built a channel much like YouTube? A place that made it easy for users to upload their videos without needing to go to the trouble of building their own Roku channel.

It could even be included as a sub-channel of The Roku Channel. This would make it so much easier for Roku owners to get their user-generated content up on their platform.

Roku has the talent, servers, and knowledge to make it happen. Not sure if doing this is worth their time but it would sure be nice for end-users to have a simple way to upload their video content directly to Roku.

Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Imagine if Roku Built Their Own Channel Like YouTube

Why? That's exactly what YouTube already does. And there's Vimeo as well. It would require a huge expense for the servers to hold the media and stream it, bandwidth, and other expenses. While Google is probably making money from the ads they place on YouTube, I doubt anyone would bother with a Roku-specific option unless it was ad-free. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.