Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Help Switching from Tivo/Comcast to Roku

Finally decided to get rid of Tivo/Comcast megabundle and wondering whether Roku can help.  Could use feedback on how to do this.  We have Comcast triple play with the HD Premier XF most expensive bundle.  I still need the triple play for phone and internet access but can buy the base level triple play bundle.  Ability to record on DVR from all sources is key to making this move.  What DVR services are totally open to record from all sources? Is Slingbox + Roku a better DVR option than using Roku plus DVR cloud service?

Does a combination of entry level comcast triple play, Roku player and DVR service/device seem like a workable alternative to Tivo/Comcast megapackage?

All comments welcome.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Help Switching from Tivo/Comcast to Roku

You need to speak with @Tivoburkee 

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Why do you need the phone bundle? Get a VOIP phone (Ooma, for instance, but there are others), then transfer your old number to it. See if you can hop to a lower-cost Internet provider for 90 days, and then hop back to Comcast and get an introductory Internet offer for $29.99-39.99/mo for one year. If you're the only person streaming, don't need 4K, and are not a gamer, you don't need more than 20Mbps to stream in 1080p.

See the TiVo Stream 4k, which is a DVR and streaming player and due to being released in April. In the meantime, stream on your laptop or pick up an inexpensive Roku or FireStick.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3512152/the-tivo-stream-4k-is-an-unexpectedly-exciting-media-stream... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

I don't think Slingbox is supported on Roku any longer. I seem to recall a thread of very angry Roku owners saying it was Roku's fault it was dropped. Myself, I have a Windows 10 PC with a tuner card and JRiver Media Center as my OTA recorder. I was still using Windows Media Center with Windows 7, but they made it unusable with Windows 10. JRiver can also server as a home media streaming server, but I use Serviio for that instead. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted

If I'm reading your question correctly, it sounds like you want to keep your phone/internet/tv bundle but want to switch your tv viewing and DVR to a roku(?) I'm not sure what exactly you mean by recording "from all sources". Do you mean the ability to record from all the channels you receive through Comcast? Or are you referring to the ability to record all your programs from all the streaming apps you download using one dvr? As far as I know (anyone, feel free to correct me), there isn't anything that will allow you to do the latter. Streaming tv/movies and the ability to save a digital recording of those programs is now limited to the app you choose. So, for example, if you're wanting a dvr that will record a football game on tv, as well as a movie on Netflix and a newly released episode on HBO, there's nothing that will do that. For that scenario, you'd have to choose which app you want to use for tv (DirecTV, Xfinity, Sling TV), choose the programming package, and then their dvr will record whatever is available on that app only. Programming from other apps is all on demand, so there's no need for a dvr.

I have a subscription to Hulu with live tv and dvr. I like Hulu because you can record shows or you can bookmark them and watch them on demand without having to use up dvr space. Or you could download the Xfinity app and link your account. But again, dvr capability is limited to Xfinity programming only. Hulu is also nice because if you don't want to have HBO as a separate app, you can add HBO to your Hulu subscription so you don't have to bounce back and forth between apps. Amazon is also offering premium "channels" for a small fee added to your Amazon fees. If you're looking for a more all inclusive package or want more channels than Hulu or Amazon offers, you could try DirecTV Now for Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

We just went from a Spectrum Bundle $204 per month + TiVo 16 per month to Just Spectrum internet. 69.99 per month and You tube TV 49.99 per month. Saves about $100 per month. YouTube TV has unlimited storage and can be accessed form anywhere. I have had a Roku 3 for 6 years and am about to upgrade to roku ultra. So far so good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Hulu Live TV or Youtube Live TV are probably going to be the top choices.   Both offer DVR capabilities as well as local OTA programming.  As mentioned not sure why you choose to pay for Xfinity phone service via a Triple Play package.

Matter of fact I just cut off my Xfinity TV service yesterday.  $220 plus monthly to only $80 ish with internet only.  Not sure I will go with a live streaming tv package.  For the time being I chose to go with the Tablo Quad tuner to watch/DVR local OTA broadcasts.  I live in a market where the OTA channels are close.  Also have the cheap Hulu on demand plan, plus Amazon Prime/Video.

0 Kudos