Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Getting ready to "cut the cable" - can anyone coach me? I have questions...

I'm a fan of Locast channel in lieu of an antenna.

Its only five bucks a month if you live in a supported area.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 14

Being flexible is a must when it comes to using or doing alternatives to cable/pay tv paywalls.  Locast is dead.  So go back to careful antenna selection and pointing it to the right direction is a must. 

And do consider the suggestions  from this article as I am in the process of doing.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3632881/how-to-create-your-own-personal-locast.html

0 Kudos
Davidhp
Level 8

I cut the cable about a year ago.  I did have a roof antenna installed to get local over the air channels (about 80 of them I can get with the antenna in Las Vegas, but I only watch about 20 of them).  I still get my internet connection from the cable company and found that since my wife and I are both retired we have devices on quite a bit that are connected to the internet so I have 150 mbps download speed with unlimited data to run multiple tv's, roku devices, phones, and ipads.  Signing up for streaming services is easy plus there are no contracts so you can cancel anytime with no penalty and switch to a different one.  I found that You Tube TV has just about every channel I had on cable and some I didn't have, if you are looking for a replacement for live tv.  You Tube TV, Hulu Live, AT&T, Fubo, Sling, and Philo and the most common live TV streaming services. The other advantage of You Tube TV is it has unlimited DVR on the cloud.  You can record as many shows as you want and they remain on the cloud for 9 months.  Some of the others have limits on the number of hours of dvr recordings and shorter time limits.  So you don't need extra hardware for dvr services.  If you buy a Roku TV, it has the Roku device built in, no month charge, it is just part of the TV.  You won't really need a new TV or smart TV, your Roku device will give you that capability.  Just check the channel line ups for the live TV streaming services to see if they include the Golf Channel.  I used to use Hulu Live TV and just switch to You Tube TV because Hulu raised their price (but they did add Disney + and ESPN + to their package).  You Tube TV, Hulu Live TV, Sling and Fubo all have the Golf Channel. 

0 Kudos
MilesT
Level 14

Even if an indoor antenna "works" for OTA digital TV, an outdoor or attic antenna properly selected and installed by an experienced contractor will always work better in all weathers, and is a worthwhile one off investment (maybe with FM as well). Assuming you have the option where you live.

In the UK (where I am), an antenna install might include 2 antennas to pick up regional variants of channels (although that's less useful than it used to be unless local repeater is "basic", doesn't have "full" Freeview channel package), DAB OTA digital radio antenna, and maybe a FreeSat dish for some extra OTA channels not available on FreeView Digital OTA UHF, or if in a fringe area for TV and the local repeater is "basic". FM rarely useful unless you are a real audiophile and you want to get best quality BBC Radio 3, 4 and 2 (better quality on FM than on any digital transmission, due to crippled bitrates that BBC has chosen to use.).

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos