Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Getting ready to "cut the cable" - can anyone coach me? I have questions...

thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I bought 5 Roku's for 5 TVs. Subscribed to YouTubeTV for $50 a month. Delighted with the channels available including many sports channels, Golf Channel and Turner Classic Movies. Also all major local TV networks. Probably saving over $1,000 a year over Comcast/Infinity, factoring in the one-time purchase of all the Roku devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Don’t get Roku. If you have a problem.  Too bad. I have only had for three weeks and I am sitting here with no service.  It was doing fine and I tried to switch stations and it was like my remote didn’t work so I changed batteries  still nothing.  I tried to make sure all connections  were tight still nothing. Finally the Roku home came up On screen but the remote still doesn’t work. Now the home page went away again. What do you do when you cannot contact anyone.  I paid $550 for setup because I don’t know about these things.  For years I wanted to go cableless and now 3 week later I have nothing. So sad.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@DN wrote:

Don’t get Roku. If you have a problem.  Too bad. I have only had for three weeks and I am sitting here with no service.  It was doing fine and I tried to switch stations and it was like my remote didn’t work so I changed batteries  still nothing.  I tried to make sure all connections  were tight still nothing. Finally the Roku home came up On screen but the remote still doesn’t work. Now the home page went away again. What do you do when you cannot contact anyone.  I paid $550 for setup because I don’t know about these things.  For years I wanted to go cableless and now 3 week later I have nothing. So sad.  

Perhaps if you provide some additional information we might offer some assistance. What model Roku (model number, not name please)? How is it connected (HDMI straight to the TV, or passing through an AVR or soundbar)? Is the remote the only problem that you are having an issue with?

For remote problems, it's vital to know what model Roku. If it's a Stick, then it's a WiFi Direct remote that is paired to the Stick. If it's some other player, it might have a WiFi Direct or a standard IR remote. And all Roku devices other than the Stick support IR, so it's possible to get an inexpensive generic remote to try.

For IR remotes, there must be a clear line of sight between the remote and the Roku. Nothing can be in the path of the IR signal. If it's clear, the next thing to check is if the remote is emitting. This can be done by viewing the front of the remote through a digital camera (like a smart phone camera) and press a button on the remote. If you see a flashing light in the camera viewer, the remote is emitting the IR signal. If there's no light, try a different set of batteries, ensuring they are inserted correctly. Some Roku remotes have both batteries pointed the same way, while other reverse their direction when inserted correctly. The case will have the correct orientation shown.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I find I have to occassionally re-pair the remote to my device. I have 3 roku devices, a stick, a plus stick, and a TV and they sometimes get confused.  You should have instructions with your documentation or its in theirhelp topics here also how to pair the remote.  But, inside the battery compartment there is a little button you have to press to pair your remote to your device.  You already changed the batteries so it's likely not that.

One thing about line of dight, my Roku TV has the sensor at the very bottom of the tv bezel, I had that sitting flush on a tabke supported from behind (i.e. didn't use the TV legs) and the signal didn't go through unless I was standing right in front of the TV. Raised the tv an inch and it worked perfect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@dianeb_1541 wrote:

We are 60 yrs old, and more techy than most our age, but we have some questions as we get organized to "cut the cord" with cable.  We'll use our cable company for internet-only, and are trying to understand the other parts of the equation.  We have an older TV (not a smart TV, it is Dynex model DX-26LD150A11) but we have a Roku stick on HDMI port 3)... and now I'm trying to understand if we need to buy a new smart TV, and if so does the Roku stick become trash, and do I need to buy an additional digital antenna to get local stations or is that built into a smart TV?   For our DVR, we have to return the DVR that the cable company rents to us, but we have an old TIVO (with a lifetime plan, believe it or not, so there is no cost to use it) that we could dust

off and try to use.   If you have a "Roku TV" does it come with the Roku service or is that an extra charge?  We already pay, by the way, for Netflix, Pandora, Amazon Prime & Prime video, and Hulu.  My husband would love to keep access to the Golf channel, other than that we don't care about sport channels.   Please help, I feel like the components of this are not clear to me yet.

Keep in mind there's Pluto TV which has 100+ TV channels FOR FREE, as well as STIRR which also has 100+ channels FOR FREE and  The Roku Channel which just added live TV with 100+ channels FOR FREE. And NO cable or satellite subscription required.  If you go with HULU Live TV, YouTube TV or even Sling, those may or may not have your local channels or channels that you've previously watched on your cable or Satellite systems.  So go to those websites to see if that's the case if not, think twice about those options to cut cable. . 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I am over 60 and cut my cord. It was very easy to set up.  I went with YouTube Tv so I could get local channels, as my OTA isn’t that good.  I love it.  My Roku has already paid for itself.  

Highlighted
Level 7

I would have encouraged you to buy a Roku having owned different models over the years and been quite happy and actively promoted folks to cut the cord with a Roku. But with Roku's inability to reach a deal for its customers for HBO MAX and NBC Peacock, I can no longer suggest you buy a Roku because Roku does not seem to have its customers' needs as a priority. If they did, they would figure out a way to provide us with the content we want and deserve. It seems that Roku is now becoming a bit player by not having a comprehensive service for its customers. Am I supposed to have different devices for different streams now? No, that's insane. You should buy a device that will allow you to stream whatever content you want including HBO MAX and NBC Peacock. I have resisted it for years even though I have been an Apple guy since the McIntosh computer (Mac) first came out and an iPhone user and iPad user but I like my content on my TV and that's why I have a device like a Roku but a Roku no longer will serve my needs. And it's too bad because I have been an avid promoter and even a stockholder because I believed in Roku so much but Roku has now indicated that they are not serious about the future and its challenges and they are playing petty games instead of serving their customers. I guess I will be looking at the Apple TV now. I'm sad to say goodbye to Roku but I think you should really think hard if you want to be able to deal with not having certain channels that you would have like to have. We customers shouldn't have to get caught up in the petty squabbles of the streaming wars -- just take care of the customers and they'll take care of you, Roku. We have a couple days until HBO is no longer on Roku and NBCs Peacock -- what's next? I guess I don't recommending waiting around to find out. Sorry Diane.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

I am already very upset as it is.  I thought that Roku would come through with making it's deal with the newer app offerings (HBO Max and especially freebie Peacock) in town.  Now at the almost end of July and still no deal with either of them in sight?  No app access?  I am so tired of that rehashed sh_t (and that's not due to age).

I still suggest any newcomer to seek out alternatives to traditional pay for TV cable and satellite.  Just don't be so quick to adopt any 1 single solitary device for all your streaming needs.  Because you will probably return to being an indentured viewer held hostage to someone else's whims and greed sooner or later.  No, the best bet is to always diversify.  Even if it is not convenient for you. 

Right now as I type this out, I am waiting for a package.  For a couple of smartphones.  Why am I buying a couple of smartphones you ask?  Because I am being held hostage by Roku and cannot get my newly subscribed Peacock app on my Roku devices for no good reason.  I have to spend additional money I really cannot afford to fix their greedy mistakes, reasoning, or whatever is really going on in these secret boardroom dealing talks.  Any of the players can afford to spend money or even to lose money.  All they (or their legal accounting teams) have to do is write it off their income taxes as whatever reason to get their money back.  I cannot. And most here are in the same boat as I am.  I am stuck buying these smartphones to access the once-back-up-to-Roku Chromecasts so they will now become the primary streaming devices in my residence. Until the Sabrina Android TV dongle or whatever this new update device will be called makes their appearances and finally finish updating my growing Google orientated  household.  Then I can play roulette and shuffle about.   My guess is most of you will do the same in a slight different way of doing it.

I think Roku timing is off as far as using their new found muscle or bargaining strength that this weird killer virus unintentionally gave them. It's a only temporary by-product, not real permanent change.  The internet streams knows no leader or king. Just people who might have a few more dollars that I or a bit more knowledge of how to operate streaming.  I will integrate no matter what is decided now.  I WAS going to keep my Roku devices as primary devices and upgrade my Chromecast to the newer Android TV with a Chromecast option later than sooner.  It's the other way around now.   This is NOT cable.  

My smartphones will arrive expected sometimes today actually.  They will never be activated for the 4-no, actually only 3-phone carriers now operating nationwide.  They will only hook up to the internet via WiFi,  They will be cleaned out of useless company preloaded bloatware.  Then they will download many to most of the apps I and others here in my family group want to watch with just a couple of taps.  If what I or them want to watch is not available in the App Store, I or them could go online to it's browser and cast right from there 99% of the time (assuming the website has a Cast Icon).   No Amazon/Roku censorship possible for the most part.

The End.

0 Kudos