Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 12

Does Dilbert Own a Roku?

Jump to solution
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 13

Re: Does Dilbert Own a Roku?

Jump to solution

I guess it is possible Dilbert owns a Roku.

This comic strip describes so many companies/products in the tech industry.  It fits well with my experience with cell phone carriers, cable companies and internet service providers.

In terms of media players it fits perfectly with my experience with Amazon Fire TV.  They frequently do what I call "punting."  I will ask support about a very specific problem.  They will talk about something completely not related and then ask if there was something else I needed help with.  So I would explain why they didn't answer the actual question and reiterate the question.  Then I would get transfered to someone else in customer service/support.  Then I am right back at step 1 again.  Ultimately Amazon service just keep pushing the ball around the hole without ever actually putting it in the hole.

As far as I can tell from the Roku forums, Roku has been using COVID as an excuse to reduce the amount of access to customer service and technical support.  I don't personally know if that is true as I haven't attempted to test getting in touch with them.  However, if that is true, that is disappointing.

Roku should see the pandemic as an opportunity to provide solutions instead of reducing services to consumers.  Bring back the "thin client" workstation.  It shouldn't be hard re-engineer the ultra into a $150-$200 device that instead of being a media player it can do VPN, remote desktop and Voice of IP.  It should have enough USB ports to support keyboard, mouse and headset (and maybe a webcam).  Then allow the normal amount of support staff to work from home with them.  Also, sell them to other companies experiencing the same issues.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Level 13

Jump to solution

I guess it is possible Dilbert owns a Roku.

This comic strip describes so many companies/products in the tech industry.  It fits well with my experience with cell phone carriers, cable companies and internet service providers.

In terms of media players it fits perfectly with my experience with Amazon Fire TV.  They frequently do what I call "punting."  I will ask support about a very specific problem.  They will talk about something completely not related and then ask if there was something else I needed help with.  So I would explain why they didn't answer the actual question and reiterate the question.  Then I would get transfered to someone else in customer service/support.  Then I am right back at step 1 again.  Ultimately Amazon service just keep pushing the ball around the hole without ever actually putting it in the hole.

As far as I can tell from the Roku forums, Roku has been using COVID as an excuse to reduce the amount of access to customer service and technical support.  I don't personally know if that is true as I haven't attempted to test getting in touch with them.  However, if that is true, that is disappointing.

Roku should see the pandemic as an opportunity to provide solutions instead of reducing services to consumers.  Bring back the "thin client" workstation.  It shouldn't be hard re-engineer the ultra into a $150-$200 device that instead of being a media player it can do VPN, remote desktop and Voice of IP.  It should have enough USB ports to support keyboard, mouse and headset (and maybe a webcam).  Then allow the normal amount of support staff to work from home with them.  Also, sell them to other companies experiencing the same issues.

View solution in original post

Level 13

Jump to solution

What's  this fuss over a fictional character?  How about focusing on the real life creators of Dilbert.  What would be their own choices instead?.  That makes far more sense than the tooth fairy or Easter Bunny beliefs.  It's the real goodies that come from real people like your parents or guardians which really count!

0 Kudos
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Iona-D wrote:

What's  this fuss over a fictional character?  How about focusing on the real life creators of Dilbert.  What would be their own choices instead?.  That makes far more sense than the tooth fairy or Easter Bunny beliefs.  It's the real goodies that come from real people like your parents or guardians which really count!

I so much would like to talk about Scott Adams himself.  He has a YouTube channel "Real Coffee with Scott Adams" in which he talks about several issues that are important to him.  But I have never heard him talk about what type of media player he uses.  What he does talk about does not fall in the scope of what this forum is for.

The fuss is not over a fictional character.  It is how that fictional character's experience mirrors his own that is important.  Sometimes it is easier to articulate a frustrating situation through side examples.

I'm also aware of your feedback from a week ago that the easiest explaination is Roku is "just being plain cheap" when it comes to providing support.  That perspective could be true.  I don't think anyone is trying to undermine or belittle your own feedback by framing the feedback in the form of a comic strip.  If they are just being cheap, I hope they correct it soon as it is not a good look for them.

If you feel additional feedback is needed in this thread to better explain the real situation, you are free to add it.

As a side note: Dogbert is nothing like the tooth fairy.  Dogbert would take your teeth and then charge you as well.  Also don't go to him for help with Roku or anything else, it will just end badly.  (Yes, I know he is a fictional character--it has been a rough year, let me have this one delusion that Dogbert might be real).

0 Kudos