Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Directly Experience A Streaming World Without Roku’s Content Offerings While You Still Can

I casually dreamed of what it would be like if Roku only offered 1 app and/or content to it’s name.  Especially after all the complaints and finger pointing going on right now in other postings about the lack of certain apps not being offered.  Well I did just that and took it a step further.  

This is a gag website offering just that.  It is  a promotion for Mint Moblle Plus.  Only 1 movie you can select here.  Only 1 option in the whole site.    Perhaps Roku does not offer everything under the sun.  But I am now beginning to understand NOT to expect my Roku devices to offer everything under the sun for whatever reason(s).

Experience it for yourselves (it did work at the time I posted this):

https://mintmobileplus.com/

Then be sure to come back!  Maybe you will have better luck finding it offered on Roku’s still many content providers that still have a big presence on their devices than I did.  I still prefer the big screen for cinema.

“...........On the plus side? It's free. Downside? It only streams Foolproof, Reynolds' 2003 movie co-starring Kristin Booth.

It may look like it streams other things besides Foolproof, but that's just a trick of the site making the crime-thriller look like more rom-coms, comedies, dramas, and the like. Virtually everything you click on will pop up a video player with the hour-and-a-half-long movie.

"Two minutes after launch and our crack data team has already determined Mint Mobile+ should probably be shut down by the weekend," Reynolds tweeted later. "We’ll go back to focusing on premium wireless…" So, get all your Foolproof love in while you can………”--https://ew.com/movies/ryan-reynolds-foolproof-streaming-platform/

3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Directly Experience A Streaming World Without Roku’s Content Offerings While You Still Can

@Iona-D wrote:

I casually dreamed of what it would be like if Roku only offered 1 app and/or content to it’s name.  Especially after all the complaints and finger pointing going on right now in other postings about the lack of certain apps not being offered.  Well I did just that and took it a step further.  

This is a gag website offering just that.  It is  a promotion for Mint Moblle Plus.  Only 1 movie you can select here.  Only 1 option in the whole site.    Perhaps Roku does not offer everything under the sun.  But I am now beginning to understand NOT to expect my Roku devices to offer everything under the sun for whatever reason(s).

Experience it for yourselves (it did work at the time I posted this):

https://mintmobileplus.com/

Then be sure to come back!  Maybe you will have better luck finding it offered on Roku’s still many content providers that still have a big presence on their devices than I did.  I still prefer the big screen for cinema.

“...........On the plus side? It's free. Downside? It only streams Foolproof, Reynolds' 2003 movie co-starring Kristin Booth.

It may look like it streams other things besides Foolproof, but that's just a trick of the site making the crime-thriller look like more rom-coms, comedies, dramas, and the like. Virtually everything you click on will pop up a video player with the hour-and-a-half-long movie.

"Two minutes after launch and our crack data team has already determined Mint Mobile+ should probably be shut down by the weekend," Reynolds tweeted later. "We’ll go back to focusing on premium wireless…" So, get all your Foolproof love in while you can………”--https://ew.com/movies/ryan-reynolds-foolproof-streaming-platform/

Kindly explain this post. There are tons of channels and apps available through the Roku platform.  Is this a scam post? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Directly Experience A Streaming World Without Roku’s Content Offerings While You Still Can

@C_I wrote:

Kindly explain this post. There are tons of channels and apps available through the Roku platform.  Is this a scam post? 

No, I-or the link I included in my original post-are not either a scam post or even a scam   I am a member of this forum just like you and anyone else here.  And owner/user of official Roku devices (3 at present) for the past couple of years.  I enjoy writing about not only the Roku devices themselves, but the activities I include them in.  (i.e. my "Secret" Spaghetti Sauce recipe and "A Very Roku Thanksgiving" I posted a number of months ago).. I strive for being a bit, well, unconventional in my choice of topics.   Like this one. 

As I stated before, this link in the original post takes you to Mint Mobile Plus, a real functioning mobile phone carrier.  As I stated before, & to clarity this website is a short term publicity stunt, nothing more.  I checked it out already and confident it is what it states it is.  And others have written about it as well (see below for additional articles on this phenomena) .  My goal is not to sell Mint Mobile Plus products, but for anyone who is interested to see for themselves what the world would be like if Roku (or any other actual streaming platform) would choose to limit themselves to just one choice.  Dressed up in various  ways under different write ups descriptions, and still images, but still only one selection possible.  The video player pops up when you select something there.  It plays only that hour and a half movie.  I did not watch it.  Not my cup of tea. 

My goal here is to help people gain some additional perspective with all the fuss and finger pointing about what Roku does not offer at the time of this writing (HBO Max & Peacock TV right now),  I wanted people to experience that for themselves with no cost to themselves (unless they purchase Mint Mobile products).  Roku or any other platform cannot be expected to the be all and end all to everyone.  The streaming world (and the online world) is simply too fragmented to be located in one digital place.   Or perhaps too greedy.  I leave this up to all of you to decide for yourselves.

I hope this helps to clarify my intentions to you, C_I 

List Of Some Articles On Mini Mobile Plus Publicity Stunt:

Google Search Engine Link I Used:  https://www.google.com/search?q=Minit+Mobile+Plus+Publity+Stunt&rlz=1CAPPDO_enUS733US733&oq=Minit+Mo...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Oh, oh. It's too late. The Mint Plus carrier pulled the quirky Webpage & it's single movie off of it's site.  

Well, I hope all of you that were interested in this publicity stunt has already checked it out.  I am very glad I did.

0 Kudos