Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

DO NOT LET HBO MAX and NBC CHARGE YOU TO USE YOUR PLATFORM!

Dear Roku,

Do not let HBO Max and NBC or any other channel owner charge you to use your platform. Stand up for yourselves and charge them for your services. They think they own you, the don’t. Let find a way to get their app out there. If you have to, charge them and that’s it. Make sure it benefits you $100%. Not the other way around. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: DO NOT LET HBO MAX and NBC CHARGE YOU TO USE YOUR PLATFORM!

@lawest2 wrote:

Dear Roku,

Do not let HBO Max and NBC or any other channel owner charge you to use your platform. Stand up for yourselves and charge them for your services. They think they own you, the don’t. Let find a way to get their app out there. If you have to, charge them and that’s it. Make sure it benefits you $100%. Not the other way around. 

You are aware that you can subscribe to these premium services through the Roku Channel, right?  And these premium services charges you, the customer NOT  Roku. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

You cannot get HBO MAX or Peacock through Roku right now and the question we should all be asking ourselves is "why"? If new premium subscription services do not want to play nice with Roku, WE suffer the consequences not Roku. Roku already has my money for the 6+ sticks I have bought in the last two years. I dont think I'll be buying anymore because they do me no good if I cannot access what I want.

Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Gatekeepers

Dear Roku,

You have been a constant in my life for over a decade. I have given you to multiple family members, purchased many myself, and always recommended you when I had a new friend join the world of streaming. I love your easy to use interface, and the small amount of ads when compared to the Fire TV. However starting this year with the Fox app before the Super Bowl, disputes have made Roku no longer the one stop shop for streaming. Recently HBO Max has been left off the platform, as well as the upcoming Peacock. While it takes two to tango, and the public will never know the whole story, many, like myself feel that the cable companies have been replaced by new tech masters. Roku should be the one stop shop for things streaming. I recently bought a Roku TV to replace an old one, and despite my initial enthusiasm, I keep finding disappointment with every new app you don’t carry. We all left cable due to disputes, and I guess we should have seen this coming. After a decade maybe I need to move to an android box or a more open source option in the future. Thanks for the good years!

Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Roku Gatekeepers

Like Google, Roku profits via advertising. They are not a philanthropic organization. 

Peacock made a deal with Google for Android TV in which both gather advertising data about you. They have not made one with Roku yet which shares this data, but they will because both stand to profit. It always has, and always will, come down to $.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

You've got it wrong. Peacock was offered free to Roku and Amazon. You're not getting it because they want a cut of Peacock's advertising revenue even though they didn't invest a penny in Peacock's startup costs. You're not getting Peacock because the two biggest streaming device companies care less about delivering free content to their customers than trying to squeeze money out of content producers.

"The Peacock app is ready to launch across platforms with the flip of a switch," a Peacock spokeswoman said. "We think it's important for consumers to know that Peacock is free to use and free to any platform who wants to distribute it. If Peacock is not available on a platform at launch, it is not because we didn't make it available, and it's not because we didn't make it available for free." 

"Roku said Peacock was trying to launch a service supported by advertising without sharing the ad model with its distribution partners.

https://www.cnet.com/news/peacock-roku-amazon-fire-tv-support-entrenching-a-battle-line/?fbclid=IwAR...

Highlighted
Level 8

Jesus you're delusional.  The ONLY way to get HBO on roku now is with Max.  The fee is $15, THE SAME AS OLD HBO.  get it through your thick skull, they even offered roku a lower revenue fee and roku STILL said no.  Stop being a fanboy and accept that the platform is screwing over the consumers with this one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

So you're implying google also offered that deal to every other TV like Apple TV and amazon fire?  If google is willing to let those two make money, you can bet your ass they're letting roku make that money.  Roku isntead wants to force feed its useless Roku channel down its customers throats instead of other advertising routes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@AKThunder wrote:

Dear Roku,

You have been a constant in my life for over a decade. I have given you to multiple family members, purchased many myself, and always recommended you when I had a new friend join the world of streaming. I love your easy to use interface, and the small amount of ads when compared to the Fire TV. However starting this year with the Fox app before the Super Bowl, disputes have made Roku no longer the one stop shop for streaming. Recently HBO Max has been left off the platform, as well as the upcoming Peacock. While it takes two to tango, and the public will never know the whole story, many, like myself feel that the cable companies have been replaced by new tech masters. Roku should be the one stop shop for things streaming. I recently bought a Roku TV to replace an old one, and despite my initial enthusiasm, I keep finding disappointment with every new app you don’t carry. We all left cable due to disputes, and I guess we should have seen this coming. After a decade maybe I need to move to an android box or a more open source option in the future. Thanks for the good years!

This is my situation as well. Been a big Roku user but found myself looking at other options this morning.

Highlighted
Level 9

@roxburylib wrote:

You've got it wrong. Peacock was offered free to Roku and Amazon. You're not getting it because they want a cut of Peacock's advertising revenue even though they didn't invest a penny in Peacock's startup costs. You're not getting Peacock because the two biggest streaming device companies care less about delivering free content to their customers than trying to squeeze money out of content producers.

"The Peacock app is ready to launch across platforms with the flip of a switch," a Peacock spokeswoman said. "We think it's important for consumers to know that Peacock is free to use and free to any platform who wants to distribute it. If Peacock is not available on a platform at launch, it is not because we didn't make it available, and it's not because we didn't make it available for free." 

"Roku said Peacock was trying to launch a service supported by advertising without sharing the ad model with its distribution partners.

https://www.cnet.com/news/peacock-roku-amazon-fire-tv-support-entrenching-a-battle-line/?fbclid=IwAR...

In addition, NBC Universal wants more control of the user's information than Roku is willing to give them. And, Roku wants to be able to offer HBO MAX and Peacock TV on the Roku Channel as a part of their premium subscriptions and NBC would only permit Peacock TV to be offered on Roku as a stand alone app.  And the same holds true with AT&T with HBO. This is also the reasoning these are not on Amazon either. 

0 Kudos