Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Williamwaco
Level 7

Cutting the cord.

I bought a new smart TV so I could cut the cord. 
I can't get any of the channels I like..  HISTORY. MILITARY.  SCIENCE.  NATGEO.  HEROS. 

I can only get them through my cable service.

What will Roku get me that I can't get with my smart TV? 
0 Kudos
4 Replies
andyross
Level 11

Re: Cutting the cord.

"Williamwaco" wrote:
I can't get any of the channels I like..  HISTORY. MILITARY.  SCIENCE.  NATGEO.  HEROS. 

You will need some form of subscription to access most networks. There are services like Sling TV and similar that offer skinny bundles that may have what you want.
I'm not certain what you mean be Heros. Is that AHC (American Heroes Channel), or H&I (Heroes and Icons.) H&I is a broadcast network carried by a local station. Probably not available for streaming. Not certain about AHC, but the AHC Go app doesn't appear to be available on Roku.
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

I have Sling TV app on my Roku and Windows 10 desktop (Sling Orange subscription). They have a 7-day free trial. You can see the channels available at https://www.sling.com/ . Sling Orange ($20) allows only 1-stream at a time, while Sling Blue ($25) allows 3-streams at a time. I don't know how many streams you get if you have Orange + Blue.
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

"T_J" wrote:
I have Sling TV app on my Roku and Windows 10 desktop (Sling Orange subscription). They have a 7-day free trial. You can see the channels available at https://www.sling.com/ . Sling Orange ($20) allows only 1-stream at a time, while Sling Blue ($25) allows 3-streams at a time. I don't know how many streams you get if you have Orange + Blue.

Hello:
  Sling Blue features channels by Fox Networks (Fox, Nat Geo, etc) while Orange features channels by Disney Networks (Disney, ESPN, Freeform (ABC Family), etc.).  Disney Networks are the ones imposing the single stream limitation on Slings contract hence why Sling has them on 2 separate packages.  If you subscribe to both Orange + Blue you will get all the channels but you will still have single streams for Disney channels.  You will not be able to watch say ESPN on more than one TV at a time in your home or even Disney and ESPN on more than one TV at a time.  Hope this answers your question.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
Chefclary
Level 7

"Williamwaco" wrote:

I cut the cord awhile ago. A decent digital antenna can be purchased for about $30. The really good ones are $80. I get about 20 local channels; all the networks and their affiliate channels in HD quality. With Roku I also get hundreds of other channels. I’ve added Netflix, Prime and Sling TV. There is really nothing I can’t watch for about $40 a month compared to the $120 i was paying for Cable.
0 Kudos