Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moms-p
Level 7

Re: Cable-cutters be advised:

i think that cable/sat programmers need to realize we'd be glad to pay, as with Netflix we
and hulu..but we shouldn't be asked to be redundant..its one or the other..they need to get into the 21st century
0 Kudos
daeyplan
Level 7

Let's not forget two things:

1. If they didn't show those apps (Nat Geo, Discovery, etc), how would a subscriber to those, be able to watch them on the Rokukoo?
  2. You can set up your own home page of items that you do have access to watching.....
  3. See #1 and #2.
CParker
Level 8

We cut cable. Went to Antenna and a Tablo unit for OTA DVR capabilities (we rarely watch anything but the news live)

Added Philo as streaming app on Roku to fill in all the Viacom channels we actually used to watch on cable (HGTV, DIY, Food, History, Travel, etc) for $20 a month and they include a cloud DVR functionality.

We had Prime, Netflix and something else before we cut cable TV off, but we're still saving over $100 a month. Not too shabby.

Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 10

Actually I see the Streaming World (this includes Roku as well as the other Big 3 players-Android/Chromecast, Amazon, Apple) as simply an alternative or supplement  to traditional pay-for-content cable and even regular old fashioned free OTA traditional broadcast tv.  Nothing more.

The many people preconditioned to paying for content presented by traditional cable  might somewhat mimic the cable experience by blindly paying for content whenever it is requested to whip out your credit card and/or subscription and sign in.  But only to a point.  It does take time to learn a new way of thinking or doing things like everything else in life.

Look at it another way.  People are streaming away (no pun intended) from paying for content with those same cable companies month after month.  Why?  They can't afford it anymore!  

I don't really care anymore how much cable or another company hustles the streaming crowd and even try to at times trick them with sneaky pay up/sign up now pop-ups in the most poorly timed (for the viewer at least) part of the program's story line.  Most of the cord cutter crowd might (just might) go for one or two pay streaming channel apps up front.  But that's all. They are either maxed or completely tapped out or fast approaching some sort of insolvency. 

I pay only for one app-CBS All Access-after several months of sticking to the freebies only during my own year long experiment.  When I signed up for it, I made sure it was suited for the slower broadband I have where I live and most of all, most of the new and classic content I want to see for a year.  If someone else asks me for a subscription or money up front, bye!  Most people have been rather spoiled or conditioned to pay,, pay and pay more.  Their bank accounts say otherwise.

If you use your streaming device as an tool to help protect your grpwing limited monthly money allotment, it works well.  If you start to fall for all those puppy eye pay up requests, you rejoined traditional cable!

0 Kudos
Boz
Level 10

@nocable wrote:
Nat Geo Wild was the reason I finally cut cable TV. They had it on the lower tier package, and I watched it a lot. But then, it was moved to a higher tier, which mean even more money paid for bundles with channels I won't watch. And tha, was the straw that broke the camel's back, as they say. Been cable TV free for over 2 years now. I'm learning, over time, to be satisfied with what I get over YouTube and Pluto.

And, of course, amazingly, Nat Geo Wild has never shown up to be one of the channels available to choose in the cable company's $20/month "Build Your Own Package" offerings. Smiley Indifferent

Just fyi, according to https://www.suppose.tv/tv?m=78&f=1l78l288l250l50l1l1lll1&r=B1yFg1mnS , Nat Geo Wild is available from Sling with a $30/mo 46 channel bundle.

0 Kudos
me4
Level 8

Ok.  I would advise anyone with cable or Dish TV buying a Roku not to drop the other service immediately.  I kept my Dish for about 6 months and eased into it.  After that time, I was barely using Dish anymore, was used to the Roku and finally cancelled Dish.  As others have said, you can subscribe to a streaming service.  I use Philo ($20 a month vs $90 for Dish).  Advantage is no contracts, you can pick up or cancel at any time.  Also, way cheaper.  You can get History channel on Philo and I think Disney has NatGeo.  Yeah, you can subscribe to as many as you like, or none.  Roku has so much more content than cable, most of it free, that you may not even miss History.  Check out cordcuttersnews.com for more help.

0 Kudos