Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CParker
Level 9

Re: email i received

Adding a correction to my previous post regarding Spectrum's streaming packages.

I added the Spectrum TV Choice package (as an experiment, but we'll see if I end up keeping it)

This one has all of our locals, then you get to choose 10 channels from a list of optional channels (like ESPN, NBCSN, National Geo, etc)... hence the "Choice" part of the package name.

I also added the Cloud DVR service. My total bill increases by just $28 a month. So nowhere near the $42 that I had estimated. So for $28 you get basic cable + 10 ala carte choices from a long list of optional channels. I'm pretty sure there was an option to add some premium channels like HBO and Starz and such but we have never subscribed to those so I didn't add anything.

So... $28 including DVR service, a bit of customization to get what you want. That doesn't seem like a bad deal for a bunch of folks.

Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
optikhog
Level 10

To take that a bit further, we're now on the Spectrum Essentials package, which is $14.99/month and doesn't include the locals (which are like $12/month thru Spectrum in rebroadcast fees).  I put a Tablo with an antenna in the basement and everything works great.

0 Kudos
CParker
Level 9

I thought the rebroadcast fees would kill this as well. The Choice package is $24.99. The Cloud DVR is $4.99 (or that was the last price I saw. It doesn't show on the web portal anywhere and you have to call to get it added) 

With those 2 items, my total bill went up exactly $28.14. Not sure why it was that low. I expected it was going to be around $40 in which case I probably would not have added this.

Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos

this is the 2nd part of my post ..on  the internet i found sites that gives me free live streaming of local channels but it gives you everything that you can find on cable all for free ..live stream ..thats all i have been using for ad free movies thats up to date and other channels that i have not been able to watch for years ...i could tell you the sites but i cant on here ...look well its so easy and its right there when you enter the right words for search ...use a ip blocker ..thats it 

0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

Re: Cable Costs vs. Streaming services

I don't currently subscribe to any of the live TV streaming services primarily because I still need to record content to DVD for my work and to my knowledge, there is no way one can legally record to DVD from a streaming device I.E. Roku as you can from a cable box or satellite receiver. Even though as a longtime DirecTV subscriber I am satisfied with the service, if I could get everything that I pay for via streaming and could record to discs as I can from DirecTV, I would have no issue going streaming full time because it would save me more money long-term and with the exception of a streaming device and or buying a DVD recorder, I wouldn't be paying as much for equipment as often.

The closest thing to live TV streaming that I subscribe to are sports services like WWE network, ESPN+, and DAZN, but just as is the case with cable/satellite, it depends on what you want that will ultimately determine your costs. One thing that I like about ESPN+ and DAZN for example is they have monthly or annual subscription options.

When I have the option, I prefer annual as compared to monthly as a way to save long-term. I may be wrong, but I don't think any of the general live TV streaming services offer an annual subscription option, but if I were to move to streaming full time I would ask if such an option were available.

I think my monthly costs streaming wise is under $100 because I do subscribe to several services, but again, it depends on what you're looking for. I pay significantly more monthly and annually for my satellite service. 

0 Kudos