Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a new Roku vs smart TV's built in UI

If you are happy with what you have, and it is causing no technical issues, stick with it. Only reason to add a Roku would be for apps the TV doesn't provide. If down the road you start experiencing tech issues or interminable slowdowns, you can always buy the current Roku model.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Buying a new Roku vs smart TV's built in UI

Agreed with Scott.. if the TV gives you all that you need, then I'd stick with it. I know some Smart GUIs aren't very friendly compared to Roku's, so if you can't deal with the interface when streaming, get a Roku. For $50, you can get a 4k Roku option down the road.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 8

Re: Buying a new Roku vs smart TV's built in UI

I've been a Roku user for years and highly recommend it to my friends and family. I purchased a new 65" TCL Roku TV on Thanksgiving for my living room and it really is the best of both worlds. If you're going to buy a new TV I recommend going with TCL. I'm so impressed with their quality that I'm actually thinking of buying another one for my office.

I will admit though that I spent the better part of a year researching TCL before I bought a new TV and I do recommend researching a bit before buying based on your needs. I also recommend buying a sound bar with the TV because the newer TV's are so thin that the built in speakers aren't as wide as some of the bulky TV's. I bought one with the TV. Basically feel like I have a mini theater now. Knows more and more TV makers are signing up with Roku, but as someone who never purchased a TCL TV before, it's pretty much the best TV I've seen in terms of picture quality and smoothness. Even though I got the 65" the TV isn't bulky and set up took less than a half hour.

The only downside was the Roku servers were down on Thanksgiving night so I had to wait until the early morning on black Friday to get the TV activated, but once the outage was lifted it was smooth. Good luck.
0 Kudos