Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flokic
Binge Watcher

Apple TV+ Not Available on All Roku Device Models?

Jump to solution

Can anyone please explain why there's Apple TV+ on Roku 2 and 3 but not on Roku 4? Will it ever exist on Roku 4, is there a justification for this!?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Apple TV+ on Roku 4

Jump to solution

Thanks for the notes here.

The Apple TV app is not supported on the Roku 4 at this time. The channel doesn't support all models of Roku device.

You can review all of the devices that are currently supported here: https://support.roku.com/article/360036652634-how-do-i-use-the-apple-tv-channel-on-my-roku-streaming...

Channel providers may choose to add additional support for more devices, so please feel free to follow up with the channel provider (Apple) directly to share your interest and inquire further. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

104 REPLIES 104
Williamt100
Roku Guru

Re: Apple TV App (Service) and Roku

Jump to solution

This morning I successfully added Apple TV to my Roku Ultra (OS 9.1), however, it did not automatically appear on my Roku 4 (OS 9.2).

In fact, I can't even find it in the channel store on the Roku 4 -- is this app restricted to Ultra HD only?  My Roku 4 is connected to an HD receiver, but it is not Ultra HD. 

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Bill

Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Williamt100 wrote:

This morning I successfully added Apple TV to my Roku Ultra (OS 9.1), however, it did not automatically appear on my Roku 4 (OS 9.2).

In fact, I can't even find it in the channel store on the Roku 4 -- is this app restricted to Ultra HD only?  My Roku 4 is connected to an HD receiver, but it is not Ultra HD. 

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Bill

Hi Bill,  I can't speak for Roku 4 owners, as I don't own a Roku 4.  I have a 2017, and 2018 Roku Ultra, which is the same hardware, but the newer one came with the JBL earbuds. Anyway for me, I found the AppleTV channel under new and notable in the channel store.  As long as you have OS 9.2, you should be OK.  I haven't heard any other requirements but that.  One thing you might check is to see if you have the latest 9.2 build in software update under Settings:System:Software Update.  I had 2 different builds pull down.  The first only installed on the 2018 unit, the second one, installed on both.

The correct build number should be: 9.2.0 build 4106.  Hope this helps.

Williamt100
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I saw from the Roku Support Web Site, that the Apple TV app is not available on the Roku 4 -- I'm a bit surprised by this.

Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Williamt100 wrote:

I saw from the Roku Support Web Site, that the Apple TV app is not available on the Roku 4 -- I'm a bit surprised by this.

Might have to do with requiring HDR support.  The Roku 4 only supports 4K. It could be something else like CPU and RM, etc but HDR support seems most likely.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The people to ask are at Apple, not Roku. Only the channel developers can make the decision about what platforms to offer their channels.

It's only a guess on my part, but it might be because the Roku 4 is the only Roku 4K player that doesn't support HDR, and they didn't want to have to code the application differently for a single device. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Flokic
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I can confirm tomorrow but I'm pretty sure there is an 4k HDR setting option on the Roku 4.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Nope. I had a 4, and my granddaughter uses it now. No HDR support there. It was replaced by the Ultra 4640, the Premiere and Premiere+, which first offered HDR support.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Flokic
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well, even so, there's no justification, any decent app supports the roku 4. For example:

https://help.moviesanywhere.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001390766-Does-Movies-Anywhere-support-4K-and-H...

I guess Apple doesn't really take roku seriously, can't blame them.

toondog
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No Atmos?

0 Kudos