Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LadyShine
Channel Surfer

Amazon Prime descriptions on Roku devices

Curious who writes/ proofs the descriptions for Amazon Prime content, and who develops the app (Roku or Amazon)? After the recent platform changes and updates, the TV/ movie info is rife with typos. Also, many movies have no info at all. Since Amazon bought IMDB, perhaps they’re pulling info from that database. Thoughts?

11 REPLIES 11
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Amazon Prime on Roku...

The Amazon Prime Video app for Roku streaming players is developed by AmazonLab126.

The only app that Roku, Inc. developed is the Roku Channel app.

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

As @Michelle3 mentioned, Amazon is responsible for the content within their channel. And yes, since they own IMDB I would expect the metadata to come from there. But I've seem synopsis information for movies that really didn't accurately reflect the material. Who writes that stuff? No idea, but often it seems whoever wrote it had never actually watched the movie/show.

Can't remember if it was IMDB, but I read info once that labeled Stalag 17 as a comedy. Just because a movie might have some humorous bits doesn't make it a comedy. Maybe they were confusing it with Hogan's Heroes, which was located in the fictional Stalag 13. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

As @Michelle3 mentioned, Amazon is responsible for the content within their channel. And yes, since they own IMDB I would expect the metadata to come from there. But I've seem synopsis information for movies that really didn't accurately reflect the material. Who writes that stuff? No idea, but often it seems whoever wrote it had never actually watched the movie/show.

Can't remember if it was IMDB, but I read info once that labeled Stalag 17 as a comedy. Just because a movie might have some humorous bits doesn't make it a comedy. Maybe they were confusing it with Hogan's Heroes, which was located in the fictional Stalag 13. 

You’re right, @atc98092. Amazon is responsible for content available on their app, but what is Hogan’s Heroes?

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
atc98092

@Michelle3 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

You’re right, @atc98092. Amazon is responsible for content available on their app, but what is Hogan’s Heroes?

~Jordan

Oh dear. Are you that young, or am I that old? 😛

Dan

Michelle3
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

@Michelle3 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

~Jordan

Oh dear. Are you that young, or am I that old? 😛

I’m saying “What is Hogan’s Heroes?”.

~Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
atc98092

Hogan's Heroes was an American TV situation comedy from 1965-71. It was based in a German WWII POW camp named Stalag 13. The lead character was American Army Air Corp Colonel Robert E. Hogan (played by Bob Crane) who actually ran a secret spy operation from within the POW camp.

As I said, it was a comedy and really poked fun at Germany during WWII. Here's the Wiki page about it.

Dan

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

Hogan's Heroes was an American TV situation comedy from 1965-71. It was based in a German WWII POW camp named Stalag 13. The lead character was American Army Air Corp Colonel Robert E. Hogan (played by Bob Crane) who actually ran a secret spy operation from within the POW camp.

As I said, it was a comedy and really poked fun at Germany during WWII. Here's the Wiki page about it.

Is there a production company and a distributor of that show in specifications?

~Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
atc98092

I have no idea. The show is still in syndication.

Dan

0 Kudos
TwoKay
Reel Rookie

Pretty sure the IMDB community laid landmines before Amazon took over. Been around since '87, it's what I would have done.