Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iona-D
Level 13

Re: AT&T DSL Has Been Retired And No More For New Subscribers

@atc98092 wrote:

SpaceX is getting close to starting their public beta testing of the Starlink network. Once complete, it will blanket the entire globe with coverage, and prices are expected to be comparable to what we see today. I'm looking at retiring next year, and it's possible that Internet access is going to be difficult to come by in the area I'm looking. Starlink will be the long term answer I expect, while cellular might be a short term solution. 

SpaceX soon to be a viable real alternative to what's offered today?  I will be sure to look at them when they are ready to offer their services to the general population in my area.  I still prefer to keep Grandfather DSL as it's bundled to the Landline phone anyway.  That could be a useful back up when you can't get a signal from those orbiting tiny satellites.  Though only if their pricing is competitive enough for the cash strapped population to afford!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Iona-D wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

SpaceX is getting close to starting their public beta testing of the Starlink network. Once complete, it will blanket the entire globe with coverage, and prices are expected to be comparable to what we see today. I'm looking at retiring next year, and it's possible that Internet access is going to be difficult to come by in the area I'm looking. Starlink will be the long term answer I expect, while cellular might be a short term solution. 

SpaceX soon to be a viable real alternative to what's offered today?  I will be sure to look at them when they are ready to offer their services to the general population in my area.  I still prefer to keep Grandfather DSL as it's bundled to the Landline phone anyway.  That could be a useful back up when you can't get a signal from those orbiting tiny satellites.  Though only if their pricing is competitive enough for the cash strapped population to afford!

Well, that's what is special about Starlink. There will be literally 1000s of satellites, with every inch of the Earth covered at all times. Signal reception should never be an issue. Because they are in low Earth orbit, latency will be about comparable with terrestrial wired networks. Recently released test data is showing latency around 40 ms, which isn't super low but nothing like existing satellite service, which can reach/exceed 1 second latency at times. And download speeds, even with the limited number of satellites currently active, is around 100 Mbps. 

How soon will Starlink be available to the general public? Nothing official released yet. They currently (with a launch a couple of days ago) have close to 900 satellites in orbit. They said they will begin limited area beta testing once they reach 1000 satellites, and those test areas are going to be in areas that are currently under-served by conventional Internet services. So it might be a couple of years before it's fully operational. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

I can wait.  If I can be a subscriber to AT&T DSL since 2008, I will stay where I am with my clunky, cobbled together, SD only system as long as it takes.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

We used DSL from the mid/late 90s up to ~2015.  We were a test home for DSL and had to keep a log book and report results like: does the DSL still work when vacuuming, does the DSL work when the microwave is running, when it rains, etc.  I thought 1Mbps DSL was great for "traditional internet", ie: http, ftp, mail etc., and it was $19.95, but for TV we used other things.

But eventually, something came out only via streaming and it was getting annoying when people would think nothing of emailing 70MB attachments, so we upgraded

About 10 years ago some door-to-door salesperson (for cable or fiber – can't remember) was trying to push her package and I told her that I was paying $19.95 for DSL and she said: "Well that's not going to last!  They're going to get rid of that within a few years!"  Well I would call 10 a bit more than "a few".

You mention DSL being "under $50".  If it's not a LOT under $50, you might check on other options.  The lowest cable company offering here is $50.  They also have "internet essentials" which requires you to meet some low-income requirements but provides 25Mbps for $10.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Thank you for your suggestions.  Actually, I really have little control over choices here anymore since I have to share my Internet Access with some other Internet Addicted people over  here.  I mainly keep my DSL as it is bundled with the basic plain ol' POTS Landline Phone.  If I do change carriers, it would not be much of any savings as I primary use my cell phones now for my own personal/business use anyway.  The Landline is for "public" household use, emergencies, power outages, or my 92 year old mother's prefered phone of use.  The "real" physically copper wired Landline which my mother wants is getting harder and harder to subscribe to where I live. You really have to jump through hoops to get it.

There is only 1 DSL carrier left around here besides AT&T.  And their prices are not much lower than what I pay now or their speed is not much to boast about.  Add another modem & router purchase costs, installation fees, and other hidden taxes/fees makes me stay where I am until something far better comes along.  It's on the horizon, but hasn't arrived yet.  Perhaps in a few years I hope.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

As for becoming an early adopter of Starlink, I can sum it up in one phrase: No thank you, I pass.  Here's why:

".......In terms of pricing, SpaceX says in the emails that the cost for participants in this beta program will be $99 per moth, plus a one-time cost of $499 initially to pay for the hardware, which includes the mounting kit and receiver dish, as well as a router with WiFi networking capabilities....."-https://techcrunch.com/2020/10/27/spacex-launches-starlink-app-and-provides-pricing-and-service-info....

EEEEK!  I am sure that the Joneses and the Upper Crusts might go for being an expensive guinea pig cohort that has unlimited funds to send off into space, but this is way out of most people (at least the ones that I know) budgets.  I mean, I can get Fiber with respectable speeds and a trained professional  installer to deal with the installation for far less than that!

Perhaps in a few years?  Or when I win the Lottery?  Rich unknown uncle leaving me megabucks?  I know that I am lucky to afford what I have right this minute and make it work as well as it does right now, not in some far flung future!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

For satellite based Internet, that's not bad for the equipment cost, and the monthly cost is also in line. I expect both to decrease over time. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

I was thinking along the lines of real "affordability."  I hope the prices go down eventually like many other electronic gizmos did in the past to a real alternative to DSL-or anything else that's brings in home access to the Internet.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

That's great that you have better options.  Starlink should be great for people in rural areas that can't get fiber or cable internet.  Rural people who happen to have a cable line around a thousand feet away may get quotes of $8000 to $20,000 for an install.  Then, even if you agree, the actual build can take nearly a year.  Beyond a thousand feet, it's probably not even worth asking. 

0 Kudos
Lmaris
Level 8

AT&T has stopped selling the obsolete and vastly more expensive to maintain DSL, much like computers stopped putting floppy drives and using dial-up modems.

The fiber optic system is faster and more efficient to maintain.

Plans are cheaper than DSL for that reason. 

https://www.att.com/internet/

0 Kudos