Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: AT&T DSL Has Been Retired And No More For New Subscribers

@2pints wrote:

out of interest how much do you pay for internet services in the US??

From a UK point of view we pay roughly ( all connections are typically unlimited with no useage caps)

£20 / month for what you call DSL (ADSL) speeds can be anything from 1.5mbps to 16mbps $26 US$ including tax

£25 for Fibre to the cabinet this is where  fibre optic cable goes to a box/cabinet/infrastructre in the street and from there to your property US$33 inclusive of all tax, speeds typically 30mbps  there is a faster veriosn that costs roughly £30 (US$38) that goes upto 80mbps

There is also full fibre optic ( fibre to the premises) in some areas (bing slowly rolled out nationaly) speeds can be as fast as full fibre allows costs roughly £45/month (US$45)

Prices can vary here dramatically by location and provider. As mentioned, I have CenturyLink DSL, currently getting just under 110 Mbps. I'm still playing under a no longer existing plan at about $60. I noticed on their web site that their non-fiber plan is only $45, so I'll be calling them soon to see about an adjustment. Smiley Very Happy While they do offer Gigabit fiber for $65, it's not available in my area. All of those prices have some additional fees and charges, but I don't think they amount to more than $10-15 at most.

Gigabit is available in many major metropolitan areas of the US, but again prices can vary wildly. I think Google Fiber runs about $75 where available, but that's really just a guess. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

In December 2009 AT&T came thru the neighborhood and buried fiber optic for several miles.Had the boxes all set up for U Verse.Everyone that had it loved it and even bragged about the picture quality of their standard definition TV.That was eleven years ago and still nothing.Now back to AT&T DSL everyone I know that has it hates it.My bro in law had it almost two years and when the contract was up with it and Direct TV he gladly went back to Cable TV and internet.DSL is priced lower the the rest but you get what you pay for.

I used to have a life before Roku!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@overtimeman wrote:

In December 2009 AT&T came thru the neighborhood and buried fiber optic for several miles. Had the boxes all set up for U Verse. Everyone that had it loved it and even bragged about the picture quality of their standard definition TV. That was eleven years ago and still nothing. Now back to AT&T DSL everyone I know that has it hates it. My bro in law had it almost two years and when the contract was up with it and Direct TV he gladly went back to Cable TV and internet. DSL is priced lower the the rest but you get what you pay for.

Can't say I've ever had any issue with CenturyLink DSL. I've had it since the very beginning with 1.5 Mbps, and speeds continue to improve. Once they installed neighborhood DSLAMs, speeds became close to cable, with none of the outages that happened with our neighborhood cable supplier (TCI, which became Comcast). Nothing could get me to switch to cable as long as I have respectable DSL. And I consider anything a 40 Mbps or faster is respectable for me. Other than downloading a very occasional ISO or major software package, I simply have no need for faster. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Many years ago I had AT&T DSL for a while.

some idiot I used to know attacked me relentlessly. It was kinda

funny watching the 2wire Blinking its lights and going nuts.

I dont know about DSL being any more secure.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos