Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: AT&T DSL Has Been Retired And No More For New Subscribers

@2pints wrote:

out of interest how much do you pay for internet services in the US??

From a UK point of view we pay roughly ( all connections are typically unlimited with no useage caps)

£20 / month for what you call DSL (ADSL) speeds can be anything from 1.5mbps to 16mbps $26 US$ including tax

£25 for Fibre to the cabinet this is where  fibre optic cable goes to a box/cabinet/infrastructre in the street and from there to your property US$33 inclusive of all tax, speeds typically 30mbps  there is a faster veriosn that costs roughly £30 (US$38) that goes upto 80mbps

There is also full fibre optic ( fibre to the premises) in some areas (bing slowly rolled out nationaly) speeds can be as fast as full fibre allows costs roughly £45/month (US$45)

Prices can vary here dramatically by location and provider. As mentioned, I have CenturyLink DSL, currently getting just under 110 Mbps. I'm still playing under a no longer existing plan at about $60. I noticed on their web site that their non-fiber plan is only $45, so I'll be calling them soon to see about an adjustment. Smiley Very Happy While they do offer Gigabit fiber for $65, it's not available in my area. All of those prices have some additional fees and charges, but I don't think they amount to more than $10-15 at most.

Gigabit is available in many major metropolitan areas of the US, but again prices can vary wildly. I think Google Fiber runs about $75 where available, but that's really just a guess. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
overtimeman
Level 9

In December 2009 AT&T came thru the neighborhood and buried fiber optic for several miles.Had the boxes all set up for U Verse.Everyone that had it loved it and even bragged about the picture quality of their standard definition TV.That was eleven years ago and still nothing.Now back to AT&T DSL everyone I know that has it hates it.My bro in law had it almost two years and when the contract was up with it and Direct TV he gladly went back to Cable TV and internet.DSL is priced lower the the rest but you get what you pay for.

I used to have a life before Roku!
0 Kudos
atc98092

@overtimeman wrote:

In December 2009 AT&T came thru the neighborhood and buried fiber optic for several miles. Had the boxes all set up for U Verse. Everyone that had it loved it and even bragged about the picture quality of their standard definition TV. That was eleven years ago and still nothing. Now back to AT&T DSL everyone I know that has it hates it. My bro in law had it almost two years and when the contract was up with it and Direct TV he gladly went back to Cable TV and internet. DSL is priced lower the the rest but you get what you pay for.

Can't say I've ever had any issue with CenturyLink DSL. I've had it since the very beginning with 1.5 Mbps, and speeds continue to improve. Once they installed neighborhood DSLAMs, speeds became close to cable, with none of the outages that happened with our neighborhood cable supplier (TCI, which became Comcast). Nothing could get me to switch to cable as long as I have respectable DSL. And I consider anything a 40 Mbps or faster is respectable for me. Other than downloading a very occasional ISO or major software package, I simply have no need for faster. 

Dan

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Many years ago I had AT&T DSL for a while.

some idiot I used to know attacked me relentlessly. It was kinda

funny watching the 2wire Blinking its lights and going nuts.

I dont know about DSL being any more secure.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Completed upgrading my AT&T DSL system by the only way I can now.  Here are the results when I installed my Ethernet Adapter on my new Chromecast/Google TV device.  I believe the same could be argued for the Roku Ultra as well as it already uses a Ethernet Cable.  Hope the below photos are helpful to the DSL crowd.  Now both are hooked up now with their own respective Ethernet Cables:Final Diagram For Behind The Philips TV.jpg

AT&T Grandfathered DSL Router plugged in @ Saturday Oct 17, 2020 @10:01 am On WiFi, 1.05 Mbps Download, 0.52 Upload.  @10:31 am On Ethernet Cable , 1.22 Download, 0.53 Upload. (Use during high volume time periods).Ethernet Chromecase Final Assembly.jpg

atc98092

1 Mbps download? Almost not worth the effort. That's not even fast enough for SD with Netflix or the other mainstream providers. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

I agree with you.  Though I have to admit that the main #1 reason why I even bother with paying for this (or any other) type of Internet Access is to simply to function within our society (i.e. paying bills, communicating with physicians via E-vistis, and  the like).  Streaming was simply a fun by-product "hobby of sorts" up to the recent lockdowns.  Now it's being used as an unexpected, yet now very much needed, way to cope during a extremely stressful time.  Far better than hitting the bottle!

I don't subscribe to the major streaming services like Netflix or Hulu, so no comment here for them.  Not only because of cost, but I find them a bit repetitive in content offerings as the "freebie" services like basic Youtube./Tubi TV and/or self-paid lower priced ones like CBS All Access,  Peacock TV provides pretty much everything I (everyone else here) cares to-or even have time-to watch.   That was one of the reasons why I never gave traditional Cable TV much consideration even before I first streamed.

Before I finished off with this topic, I invite others to think about the great "Digital Divide" in the United States.   This ariticle:  

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/recode/2020/9/10/21426810/internet-access-covid-19-chattanooga-muni...

will help some of us here understand what is really at stake here.  The main reason why I started this topic was to simply point out that without good stable access to the Internet AT HOME (not hanging around outside Taco Bell or the local Public Library catching WiFi and/or sickness), you cannot function as a member of society in this new century.  And Roku, Google, Amazon, and Apple loses a huge potential customer base by not having real Internet Access options available for the masses-especially the poorer ones.   Not overpriced cobbled together options like I have here.

I always "make do" with what I have. as the photos above prove  Not propose it as some sort of ideal way of accessing the Internet.  That is the underlying feeling I have about AT&T DSL no longer being offered as a choice.  It's under 50 dollars a month and with some "creative adjustimets" like the above, we (and many others as well) can shelther in place at home and function (though not so luxuriously) within our homes.  Like I'm doing right this very minute!

overtimeman
Level 9

Two years ago it was going to be 5G from the wireless companies was going to be answer and now it's satellite internet that's going to bring internet to rural areas.Yep I agree 1 Mbps would be hard to deal with but you seem to make it work for you.1 Mbps is what I had with verizion wireless and it wouldn't hotspot at all.I went with AT&T on my next cell phone plan since I'm about a mile from their tower.Even when the use is heavy I can get 40/20 and when the cable goes out as it does during storms I can hotspot easily.

I used to have a life before Roku!
0 Kudos
atc98092

SpaceX is getting close to starting their public beta testing of the Starlink network. Once complete, it will blanket the entire globe with coverage, and prices are expected to be comparable to what we see today. I'm looking at retiring next year, and it's possible that Internet access is going to be difficult to come by in the area I'm looking. Starlink will be the long term answer I expect, while cellular might be a short term solution. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/10/22/us/new-mexico-school-internet-trnd/index.html

Need I say more?  Thank heavens for "Go Fund Me" to address and fix individual financial problems directly without red tape, prying into private lives, or degrading the recipicants. 

Like at home Internet Access were it should be.

0 Kudos