Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

AT&T DSL Has Been Retired And No More For New Subscribers

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5880219002

I am sad to say that AT&T DSL is no more for new sign ups.  This is very depressing as it offered lower priced access for your Roku devices’ operations many times in areas not best served or even being served at all for Fiber or even Cable options.  Plus really cheap internet access for financially struggling (or even the just plain cheap) people who no longer can afford the fancier options after losing their incomes.  Yet must still access the Internet for vital day to day needs like looking for a job or getting an education.  

What good is our Roku devices, smartphones, or even Streaming without Internet Access?  Sit in a parking lot and access a freebie WiFi connection?  I really think the underlying problem that all of the Streaming Platforms should be paying attention to is how easy and affordable even the financially strapped among us can access the Internet-and buy and use the resulting services.  And no user=no Streaming Corporation (including, though not just Roku).  Or potential growth in numbers or ad/subscription sales.  That should be where the talks and even bickering should be, not over app access and blockages. 

Simply put, Without cheap available Internet access, there is no Streaming for the masses.  And that is where the real money lies.

13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: AT&T DSL Has Been Retired And No More For New Subscribers

The only request I have for AT&T, Spectrum, Google, Roku, and the rest of hi tech is to continue to develop lower or even freebie products/services so the lower income marginalized groups can join in.   Please, there is a real need for telecommunication companies to offer anything from WiFi access to dongles in order to just exist in this new techno-world. 

Highlighted
Level 21

I have DSL (CenturyLink) but there are significant reasons it isn't offered more widely. The biggest issue is the distance limit from the phone company central office (CO) to the desired location. And don't forget, it's overall cable length, not line of sight distance.

For example, line of sight I'm about 4 miles from the CO. But actual cable distance was over 5 miles, which is just about the limit of DSL. Because of the significant number of homes in my neighborhood, CL began rolling out what are called DSLMs (D-slams). Basically, they are a miniature curb-side COs that are fed via fiber (or some other high capacity medium) and then split out to the various homes. Before the DSLM, 1.5 Mbps was all I could get, which was still far better than dial-up. With the DSLM, I started out at around 15 Mbps, and it has continually increased to my current 108 Mbps. CL also offer Gigabit Internet, but not in my location.

AT&T was most likely just piggybacking on some other carrier's DSL system(s), and either decided it wasn't worth the effort, or had lost their access to the other carriers. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

It's nice to know Smiley Happy that DSL is still offered at another company.  It seems to be the "backbone" or "foundation" of high speed internet access for most people worldwide, not just the US.  I was just Smiley Sad saddened Smiley Sad to not only see the end of DSL access on AT&T, but another real choice on budget access to the Internet or even for the location challenged (rural) residents. 

Why change something that works for many to most.  Many people are just fine with DSL and with some inexpensive wiring options, you can make the most of your connection.  I have been doing that for years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Yes, I like DSL because you don't share your bandwidth with other users within your neighborhood like you do with cable. I have no idea why AT&T is getting out of it, other than the possible reasons I posted before. 

My brother works for CenturyLink (not in my area) and I get the feeling they are still strongly supporting DSL. In real world use, I would rarely benefit from a Gigabit connection. Downloading OS updates, or trying a new Linux distro on my test box perhaps. But there's nothing currently available streaming over the Internet that needs more than about 25 Mbps, and there's only three of us in my home so we never saturate the connection we have. In fact, the vast majority of media we watch comes from my home server, which doesn't require an Internet connection at all. Smiley Very Happy 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Especially I just came across this online tibbit elsewhere as well:  ".......DSL offers substantial security benefits over cable internet as the connection to the central office is not shared with any other subscriber....."

I would rather lose a little speed for a little more security any day!  A better trade off I suppose.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

I had forgotten about that, although I'm not sure it's as true anymore. It used to be that your device within your home network was assigned an IP address that was grouped with other cable users. But now they all seem to have actual NAT routers in their modems and your home network is now on the private 192.168.x.x range, and that wouldn't be accessible outside your home network.

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

@Iona-D wrote:

Especially I just came across this online tibbit elsewhere as well:  ".......DSL offers substantial security benefits over cable internet as the connection to the central office is not shared with any other subscriber....."

This is a bit misleading. While the last mile is indeed segmented for DSL in order to maintain signal strength across the copper, all of that traffic is combined at the CO router, so there's no security benefit.

I worked for an ISP for more than a decade and we sold DSL for a significant period of that time. We eventually abandoned it due to the incredibly high cost of maintenance. Similar small profit margins likely drove AT&T out of the market.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Yes the "old time" technologies do get discarded as they probably are far too costly to maintain.  I am not arguing against that sort of business practice.  In a tech sense, it should be as it subtracts possible or probable profits.  In a more user way, not so easy to separate or transfer to another means of communication when it involves the pocket book.

I decided to pay my mother’s AT&T bill yesterday.  This is the same bundled DSL/Landline one I discussed above.  Generally, I pay for her account from my own reloadable debit card with her own funds and full knowledge.  It is far easier to deal with any unexpected problems that might occur by myself.   Rather than involving a 92 year old with health problems to be exposed to more stress than it is necessary. (Her own physician thinks it’s a great idea too).

Well, it seems AT&T changed the rules a bit since the last time I paid up (exactly 1 month ago).  Robot FrustratedThe total opposite of the Roku experience!Robot Frustrated  I usually prefer to and use the automated selection menu on my phone or sometimes the official website when I do financial transactions.   Not this time.  I was shang·hai into speaking to a live real time “representative” or whatever sales passes themselves off as now.  I really was pressured to buy another form of Internet access (Fiber) that we don’t really need now.  Much less pay far more than our tight budget allows.  Since I was speaking and not my elderly mother, I was able to just concentrate on making my payment and deflect the inflated sales pitch.  

When I got off the phone, I really had a long thought about the way, not only how present day business is conducted, but how little protection the unsuspecting and the elderly/infirm is treated.  Most of the complaints I see on this forum is about Roku not having a easily accessible presence on their own website and no more call center for the foreseeable future.  In some other companies, the total opposite.  Whatever the way business is conducted, it does not matter in the end.  DSL, real customer service, and actual technical support seems to be a thing of the past.  It is now considered “old fashioned,”  “too costly,” or just plain, “too much trouble,”  The truth does not really change at all.  As I stated before, DSL is now retired as of just a couple of weeks ago.  It still has relevance in my own or many, many other people’s houses and even smaller to medium sized businesses trying to balance the ever more shrinking budgets each has to work with.  

No matter.  Perhaps the problem lies in this one fact:  DSL, cell/mobile phone service, and the like are NOT A UTILITY!  Being a vital (not a luxury) remote human to human interaction means of communication is not a dirty word! LIke it was before the various split offs and mergers way back when.  It is still being treated as some sort of entertainment/luxury sort of activity that should be upgraded or changed from time to time while the high cost not being considered at all.  If this is not changed, then poor treatment and even access denied because of lack of money will continue.  I don’t see  THAT changing anytime soon as the way or means to pay for all these products and services are rapidly dwindling.

When most cannot afford these things, what will happen then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

out of interest how much do you pay for internet services in the US??

From a UK point of view we pay roughly ( all connections are typically unlimited with no useage caps)

£20 / month for what you call DSL (ADSL) speeds can be anything from 1.5mbps to 16mbps $26 US$ including tax

£25 for Fibre to the cabinet this is where  fibre optic cable goes to a box/cabinet/infrastructre in the street and from there to your property US$33 inclusive of all tax, speeds typically 30mbps  there is a faster veriosn that costs roughly £30 (US$38) that goes upto 80mbps

There is also full fibre optic ( fibre to the premises) in some areas (bing slowly rolled out nationaly) speeds can be as fast as full fibre allows costs roughly £45/month (US$45)

0 Kudos