Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8k tv and Roku ultra available yet?

Hello All —

there are now 8k TV’s available.  How well will the current Roku Ultra work with an 8k, and if not, are Roku 8k tv’s on the drawing board yet?  

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 8k tv and Roku ultra

How it would work with an existing Roku? As well as any other 4K source plugged into an 8K set. But I have serious doubts Roku even has an 8K player on the future roadmap for some time. Such devices will not be cheap for quite some time, and that's not an area that Roku generally moves to. There are still tons of features they could add to their current players (lossless audio bitstreaming, additional audio and video codec support, additional caption support) that would be far less expensive to add, and they still don't offer any of them. The Nvidia Shield does everything I've just mentioned, but sells for $190. Roku is trying their best to stay under the $100 mark, although the original Ultra exceeded that. Now it's exactly $99.99. 

An 8K player would probably be priced initially at $500 or more, way out of the Roku market. You also have to remember that the primary use for a Roku is Internet streaming. There's nothing really available yet in 8K. YouTube has a few test videos, but they require a 50 Mbps Internet connection. A lot of homes just don't have that kind of speed yet. I believe once 8K online streaming becomes available, it will initially begin with apps on the TV itself, then the external boxes will start to appear. There has to be content before you're going to see players arrive. Doesn't matter if 8K TVs are here if there's no 8K content to view.

Remember too that even with 4K, if your screen is under 65" there's very little benefit from the increased resolution. HDR has much more impact than 4K on a 55" or smaller screen. Moving to 8K, you're going to need a screen closer to 100" before the improved resolution is noticeable. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
BadSull
Channel Surfer

The Roku Ultra 4670 is now $49.99.  I just bought 2.

optikhog
Roku Guru

Is there 8k streaming content available?
0 Kudos
BadSull
Channel Surfer

I don't believe so.

0 Kudos
optikhog
Roku Guru

Then is this necessary?

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

NO.

I could be happy with a Black and White.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
rlloyd
Reel Rookie

Re: 8k tv and Roku ultra. 8K TVs are here!

Build it, they will come!!!

TVs with 8K are here. Content will come as soon as the devices for streaming are available. Costs will be at some premium for a SHORT time. Doesn't matter for smaller TVs. But, Many TVs are roiling out the showroom doors at 65, 75, plus sizes. Price of TVs is coming way down.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

As a matter of fact you can get a TCL 8k Roku TV at Best Buy. 65 and 75 inches though.

8K TVs: 8K Ultra HD TVs - Best Buy

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

My personal opinion is that anything smaller than 75" will be wasted at 8K. Even 4K is marginal at 55" being actually noticeable. That said, I have three 40-ish 4K TVs, although their primary use is as a computer monitor, and for that use it's a great size for 4K.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos