Community Discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2XSAnalog
Level 7

2XS Replacement

When will the upgrade for the top-line 2XS finally be available?  I've purchased newer Roku's since the 2XS was discontinued, but none of them have the analog audio outputs.

We use the 2XS for whole-house Internet radio with a high-end audio distribution system.  Unfortunately, our 2XS died in a recent storm that produced several power brown-outs.  Looking for a replacement, it seems Roku is only offering low-end models now that don't have all the required outputs,
0 Kudos
24 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: 2XS Replacement

Express Plus is the only model with analog outputs in the current series. It's more powerful than the Roku 2 XS, but lacks the ethernet port.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
2XSAnalog
Level 7

Thanks, but need the Ethernet, too.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Where there's a will, there's a way. Just because the newer Roku's don't have analog outputs, that doesn't equate them to be inferior. There's adaptors, if you're willing to spend the money. There's PLENTY the new Roku's are better at than the old XS was..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
2XSAnalog
Level 7

Yeah, I know they're "better" in a lot of ways (that I don't care about).

It's disappointing that a core feature has been removed from the product.  A device marketed as "Ultra" or otherwise top-of-the-line should have all the capabilities of its lesser siblings, including multiple connectivity options.

Now I must add equipment and keep it powered, or move to a different streaming platform.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"2XSAnalog" wrote:
Yeah, I know they're "better" in a lot of ways (that I don't care about).

It's disappointing that a core feature has been removed from the product.  A device marketed as "Ultra" or otherwise top-of-the-line should have all the capabilities of its lesser siblings, including multiple connectivity options.

Now I must add equipment and keep it powered, or move to a different streaming platform.

Yeah, I ended up getting an optical audio splitter for my stick unit so that I could go out to my old receiver for stereo audio.  Is what it is.  Analog audio connectors are on the way out so they aren't considered a "premium" feature.  HDMI is becoming the one connector to rule them all, eventually I'll have 2 receivers that I'll just have to throw away.

All that said, none of the main streaming platforms have analog audio outs.  You could get some janky ass Android box that is on the edge of legality and never gets updates.  I hear people promoting those things all the time.
0 Kudos
2XSAnalog
Level 7

Yes, a digital audio connection is better..  I use both digital and analog at the same time, driving multiple amplification/distribution - that's Premium!

And "janky" is exactly what I think about the idea of adding more splitters/converters/switches to my setup.  It used to be clean, but the forecast is janky with a chance of forklift upgrade.

Thanks for the comments!  More please!
0 Kudos
Billy_T_Kidd
Level 7

I bought my Roku 2XS in 2012 and i'll be using it til the day it dies. I especially like the analog connectivity options of the 2XS that Roku now eschews. I am no fan of wi-fi and am appreciative of the ethernet port which almost all newer Roku units are sadly lacking in. I am of the opinion,and maybe i'm wrong, that if Roku ever upgraded the 2XS with a fast processor while leaving the analog connections/ethernet port intact,people would be flock to it like bees to honey.They'd sell a million of 'em,especially to all of us with mid/high end analog equipment that still works perfectly.
0 Kudos
gadrago
Level 8

You could get a used 2XS replacement on eBay for a fraction of the original cost.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"gadrago" wrote:
You could get a used 2XS replacement on eBay for a fraction of the original cost.

I feel bad because I've actually thrown two of these away now.
0 Kudos