Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ritac

unable to connect to Prime Video Channel

Jump to solution

hi i have a purple roku stick and have had it since 2015. September 6, 2021 I was watching my prime video Grimm show on it and now i went to click on prime video  and i get this message " to keep enjoying Prime Video along with all of its newest features and functionality, get any new Roku streaming player at Roku.com" Please explained to me what this means cause 4 months ago I was able to watch it on the same Roku stick and TV?  All other channels are accessible and have no problems with them only Prime Video and my Prime account with Amazon is current.  Can anyone assist me in answering this question?

Thanks

Rita

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: unable to connect to Prime Video Channel

Jump to solution

As mentioned, Amazon has dropped support of some older Roku devices. This is an Amazon decision, not Roku, as Roku still provides support for some of those older devices (but not all).

If you do have the purple Streaming Stick (model 3500), it's really just on life support. It was released Mar 2014, so getting close to 8 years old. Roku no longer offers a replacement remote for it. Many recently released channels won't work on it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I believe the purple stick is the 3500, which is one of the ones that Amazon no longer supports.  Here is a thread about that.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

As mentioned, Amazon has dropped support of some older Roku devices. This is an Amazon decision, not Roku, as Roku still provides support for some of those older devices (but not all).

If you do have the purple Streaming Stick (model 3500), it's really just on life support. It was released Mar 2014, so getting close to 8 years old. Roku no longer offers a replacement remote for it. Many recently released channels won't work on it. 

Dan

Jump to solution

I had the same problem. So I purchased the newest Roku stick last week. Now I’m receiving the same message!  I can’t connect to Prime without paying for a free 30-day subscription.  HELP PLEASE!!!  

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

What is the exact message?  It seems unlikely that Amazon would say that your player is too old but you could fix it with a subscription.

I'm wondering if the replacement player has been linked to your Amazon account yet?

0 Kudos
GregM
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The Prime Video app is the worst of all my apps. I have a Roku 3 and a Roku Ultra. At least once a month I get a "can not connect" message. I have no such problems with any other app.

Last time this happened I called Amazon and they said they would research it and call back. They never did call back but the app started working.

I have tried removing the app and rebooting and reinstalling the app and it did not help.

Let me repeat that I have problems with no other apps.

Anyone help?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@GregM 

You've done the standard troubleshooting steps for what you've reported. I will add that the Roku 3 is getting some age on it. The model 4200 is from 2013, and the model 4230 is from 2015, so issues beginning to show in a device that old isn't that unusual. I had a Roku 2 model 4210, which is identical to those models, finally go out a couple of weeks ago. I still have a Roku 3 in operation. They've been great devices, and while I'm not suggesting you replace it, keep in mind that it's getting on in years, and the day will come, sooner than you want.

As for the Roku Ultra, they were introduced in 2016 (model 4640) and updated in 2017 (4660), 2018 (4661, but it's identical to the 4660), 2019 (4670), and 2020 (4800, current model). So, if it's one of the older models, it's not that much more recent than the Roku 3, and could be getting on in years. Still, I would expect the app to work properly.

I wish I had some suggestions for you, but I don't. I just wanted you to have the background and timeline on those devices, if you didn't already have that, so you'd be well informed if it comes time to make a decision.

If you were to replace one, all the current Roku lineup, except the Streambars, have the same processor. RAM is the main difference between the core line up of devices. If you wanted to pick up a replacement for the Roku 3 locally, if it didn't make a difference, you should be able to return it. Check the retailer first. But if it makes a difference, that pretty much cinches that Amazon has a recent update that adversely impacts older supported devices.

Good luck.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Prime Video isn't only a problem on Roku devices. I had trouble yesterday trying it with my Nvidia Shield, which is twice as expensive as the Roku Ultra. You have to remember that Amazon sells their own devices, so they likely don't put as much effort into their apps for competing devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos
GregM
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I guess then if you want to watch Prime you should consider an Amazon streaming device?

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@GregM  I have 9 Roku devices and Prime works on all of them will zero issues. A Roku 3 is also very old and outdated. 

0 Kudos