Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RWacker53
Reel Rookie

sporadic issues with xfinity streaming app; error 500, buffering, trying to re-connect, etc.

These past couple months I've been experiencing more sporadic connection issues with my Roku Ultra and the xfinity streaming beta app.  Sometimes it's error 500 and other times it's buffering in trying to reconnect. etc.

Roku Ultra 4660X model; software version: 11.0.0 - build 4193-46

Hard-wired to my router, Netgear Nighthawk AX5200 RAX48, (installed Nov-2021); ethernet CAT-5 cable.  (not using the WiFi connection; tried but same issues). Using HDMI cable between the Roku Ultra and the TV.

I've tried all and combinations of the following to help resolve this; may work for a few days but then it starts failing.

• Rebooting both cable modem and router.
  • Do a "hard" reset on my TV and Roku box by unplugging it, waking a few minutes before restarting. 
  • Done Roku's "System restart" from their menu items.
  • Uninstalled the xfinity app, reinstalled it and re-registered / re-signed in again with xfinity.
  • Changed batteries in the Roku remote, etc.

xfinity's speed test is 350+ so there's plenty of bandwidth/speed.

Approached xfinity's customer support and all connections, speed etc. is good from their perspective. They did download "restart" requests, etc. to my modem & router and that all is working good.

Firmware is up-to-date on both model and router.

Runnning out of ideas & solutions, etc.  THANK YOU in advance for any assistance!!!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: sporadic issues with xfinity streaming app; error 500, buffering, trying to re-connect, etc.

@RWacker53

Thanks for the post.

Are you only experiencing this specific issue with the Xfinity channel, or does it happen on other channels as well?

Please be aware that for a clean install of a channel, it's important that you try removing the channel from the Roku, then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart, and then add the channel back once more, specifically in this order.

In addition, for troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SerranoFam408
Reel Rookie

Re: sporadic issues with xfinity streaming app; error 500, buffering, trying to re-connect, etc.

Hi did you ever find a solution to this ?xfinity stream beta channel is not working on any of my Roku TV and devices at this point. Super frustrating Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Jackie4381

I am experiencing the same foe the past week. Troubleshooting everything 

0 Kudos
RWacker53
Reel Rookie

Hey Danny,

Thanks for your response and info.  This TV is used in our kitchen area so just the local channels through xfinity's streaming app is being used; aka, very rarely to we use any other streaming apps through our Roku Ultra connection.

Yes, I have removed/deleted the xfinity streaming app many times and then do a "hard" reset by physically unplugging both my Visio TV and the Roku Ultra device.  Then I go and so a "hard" reset on my cable modem and router by unplugging them too.  I continue to be hard-wired to my router to my Roku Ultra device to get the best speed as possible.

It seems to be working OK for now, ("knock-on-wood"), in that I have not experienced any issues for the past several days.  So I may have found the right combination of deinstalling, reinstalling and resetting my devices associated with my kitchen TV.

THANKS for your suggestions and hope that this has been resolved!

0 Kudos
RWacker53
Reel Rookie

As of now, I think I may have found a solution; aka, I haven't experienced any issues for several days now.

I'm sure as you've seen, there's a variety of possible solutions in order to resolve this issue. In looking back on this with my several attempts, I can suggest to make sure that all of your devices, (modem, router, TV and/or Roku devices), are all up to dates with your software updates and firmware.  I also found in my Netgear router a way to "reset" that device; so that's 1 option I've used too!

Even though my Roku Ultra is several years old, I found on the Roku Support page somewhere the various models that are compatible with xfinity's streaming app.  In my case, the model is "4660X" and the software version if "11.0.0".

Then I've made sure that I have removed xfinity's streaming app completely from the list of apps, went ahead and did a complete shut-down, reset and power back up and all of my devices and then re-install the xfinity streaming app to make sure that the latest version was downloaded to my Roku Ultra device.

OK?  Good luck!!!

0 Kudos
RWacker53
Reel Rookie

Hey Jackie,

YEP, it's been totally annoying & frustrating to try to resolve these issues!!  I was on xfinity's Tech Support via a chat session and was "told" that they did some "pairing with their servers" to my cable modem and also sent a "reset" signal down to my modem too.  (Not sure if it did actually happen, but believed that they did!)

But for several days now, it's been working just fine!!  (Knock-on-wood!!)   So I'm hoping that I may have done the right combination of steps to get this resolved.  (Please refer to my original posts and my responses too.)

But by making sure that all of my devices have the latest software/firmware updates, it all seems to be working now too.  But I'd suggest that you physically remove this xfinity streaming app completely from your Roku list of apps, do all the software/firmware updates, reset them all by physically unplugging them, and then reinstall the xfinity streaming app!  

Hope that this helps and good luck!!!  (My last resort was to possibly buy a newer Roku Ultra device, but saw on Roku's Tech Support page that mine was up-to-date and acceptable/compatible to xfinity's streaming app; aka, my model is "4660X" and software version is "11.0.0".

OK?  Thanks!!!

0 Kudos